why some cyclists make it bad for the rest of us.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveoo

Yesterday went for a short ride with my son from brighouse to littleborough using the towpaths on the salter and hebble and rochdale canels.
Nice relaxing ride got to littleborough and stopped for a bite to eat like you do when this character comes tanking up on his mtb skids to an halt at one of those path restrictions (the ones that stop motorbikes and the likes from using the paths) curses as he struggles through and then shoots off.
Anyway about half hour later he comes back again tanking it shoots off ahead just as we start our return trip.
On the return journey we kept getting funny looks and the odd mumbling as we passed walkers so i stopped and asked a couple why the strange looks and it turns out this knobhead we saw had just ridden past everyone at full pelt without giving any consideration to anyone and obviously felt that the towpath was just for him that day.
Thanks to him i had to put up with the pissed off walkers the rest of the ride.
So mister cyclist if you are on here please be assured that should you one day be tanking it up that way again and you try passing me better think again!
Right moan over with off on the trans pennine trail tomoz come rain or shine.

That type of behaviour is not confined to cyclists, unfortunately there a far too many people with no consideration for others.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
some people are inconsiderate tossers and some cyclists are people :wacko:
be thankfull if you are not one of these people, and if you raise your son not to be one of these people I feel you have done a pretty reasonable job.

You got to spend a lovely day with your son, don't let idiots like this take that from you. You should be smiling about the time you spent together and posting about that, than this crap which in the big picture of things is not as half as important.
Let it go.

Theres a group of MTBers of which he might be part of that like to ride like ijeets on that stretch, i ran into a group of them a couple of weeks back.

Try my patented ting-ting wave! move with walkers, a little bit of interaction goes a long way^_^

The guy was abviously a tossed.
As mentioned, you're dng the right thing with your son and MOST of us are the goodys.
As my daughter said on the Cyclone 33 last month.... " daddy, cyclists are very friendly people aren't they" as we got lots of hellos and cheery waves.

Sandra6

Veteran
Surely the people you passed saw you and your son and were reassured that not all cyclists are demented eejits?
If we get cut up on the road by a div we don't assume every other motorist is also a div, surely people apply the same logic to cyclists?

OP
OP
steveoo

steveoo

Yea those walkers who i spoke to understood that not all cyclists act like divs .

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If we get cut up on the road by a div we don't assume every other motorist is also a div, surely people apply the same logic to cyclists?
Everyday I start afresh from the premise that every motorist, myself included, is a div. It is so much easier than coming up with a foolproof method to sort the motoring wheat from the chaff.

Are these the same walkers who walk 4 abreast across the entire path allowing their dogs to shoot anywhere and give the evil eye if they have to move over so much as an inch? Just wondering 'cos that's the sort we normally meet on the greenway (national CYCLE route) just an observation, sure not all walkers are the same.

Are these the same walkers who walk 4 abreast across the entire path allowing their dogs to s*** anywhere and give the evil eye if they have to move over so much as an inch? Just wondering 'cos that's the sort we normally meet on the greenway (national CYCLE route) just an observation, sure not all walkers are the same.

The path in question is shared and the signs make it quite clear ped's have priority, so if they are walking 4 abreast well they can.:whistle: Agree with you the dogs are annoying though:thumbsup:

defy-one

Saw three separate cyclists that made me think what idiots today as I drove around London.

1st guy was on an old hybrid and paid no attention to cars - kept going really wide of parked cars WITHOUT signalling or even looking who/what was behind him. The result was cars kept having to brake at the last minute. Eventually some cars would snick past him, even though they started off being responsible motorists and giving this guy the usual space.

2nd one was a girl come out of a side street. It was dark,raining and she had no lights on her bike. I could barely see her! Again what an idiot.

3rd was on Old street roundabout - his female friend was on a Boris bike, and she looked a little unsteady. So Charlie boy decides he is riding two a breast through one of the busiest areas of London. Again it's raining hard and he shows no consideration for other road users. Again motorists get impatient with his blocking of the single lane and pass him close by as he is not showing any regard for them.

Strange how I can now see these things now as a car and bike commuter.

sidevalve

Über Member
That type of behaviour is not confined to cyclists, unfortunately there a far too many people with no consideration for others.
True,but this is what the OP was about and this is a cycling forum not a general politeness forum. Just saying "oh the world is full of tossers" doesn't make it OK.
Secondly, mud sticks, one good cyclist does not make people forget one bad one.
Finally, being stuck behind a group of walkers must be terrible, perhaps a little like being stuck behind a group of cyclists who think it is their right to ride three abrest while chatting [yes I've seen it, sadly more than once] and forcing other road users to a crawl behind them [Oh please no "primary riding position" excuses, this is just arrogance] As above, no, bad behavior is NOT confined to cyclists but too many forget it is a two way ticket.

Top Bottom