why some cyclists make it bad for the rest of us.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know the path well.
Many years ago, the fishermen thought they owned it. They were the only ones using it. Then the ends were opened up, and boats began to use it - peeing off the fishermen.
Then more walkers.
For many years still, it was a footpath only, and it is only in the last few years that cyclists have been officially allowed - and still not below Brighouse.

Being part of the CYCLEWAY does not mean that cyclists have priority. If there is a fishing competition, you can expect (right or wrong) fishing poles across the tracks every 20 yards or so. They are the ones paying for a licence to use it.
You are bound to meet a lot of pedestrians. They have priority. Live with it, and take the encounters as opportunities to cheer someone up.

I........CYCLEWAY .....They are the ones paying for a licence to use it...........

Its actually a Greenway which is what some cyclists (like the one in the OP) choose to ignore, difference is that peds have priority at all times not us.

The funding for canals is interesting as it highlights from just how many sources they use, the main one is Canals and Riverside Trust (what was Brittish Waterways) which raises funds through some limited taxpayer funds, boating licences and then charity donations (you can donate or be a 'friend' for a monthly fee). There is also local government which in this case funded the Greenway in conjunction with the CandRT which can also fund the canals. Fishing licences and permits generally cover the stock, 'spots' (there's a word for these) the fishermen sit on and other amenities for fishing. Further funding can come from Sustrans although that itself receives its funds from different sources itself...

Er anyway, sorry, my point is the canals I think we all agree on here are there to be enjoyed by one and all and I think as a group (cyclists) we should do more to promote good behaviour on the towpath:thumbsup:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
3rd was on Old street roundabout - his female friend was on a Boris bike, and she looked a little unsteady. So Charlie boy decides he is riding two a breast through one of the busiest areas of London. Again it's raining hard and he shows no consideration for other road users. Again motorists get impatient with his blocking of the single lane and pass him close by as he is not showing any regard for them.
sounds entirely sensible to me. If I was accompanying a cyclist who wasn't that confident I'd follow him or her a little bit to the right, looking behind me at the driver in the car following. I'd take the close pass as part of the job.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1974328 said:
The drivers of these cars anticipated that he would ride into the back of the parked car rather than pass them at a safe distance?
It's what they appear to do around here. Failing that they expect one to ride in the door zone.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1974349 said:
If you will insist on living in a special needs town.
one in which I was party, this morning, to a late model 3 series beemer Cd SE overtaking me (in strong secondary) whilst I was braking for the queue of cars in front turning right. I'm thinking "where the flip does he think he is going to go?". In any event Mr Beemer applied his brakes too late and will, I fear, be dealing with the paper work and phone calls, from the ensuing 4 car concertina for some time to come. Talking on his hands free. Oh Dear.

Helmeted and bedrizzled and wearing dark glasses in the gloom, and realising I was more or less in disguise, I declined to do the decent thing and volunteer my services as a witness, it having all the hallmarks of an open and shut case, and fled the scene before I got the inevitable blame from all concerned.

I do indeed live in a special needs town. A wealthy special needs town at that.

wmtlynx

I do a lot of canal exploring and also have ridden my bike along towpaths. As a walker I've had several bikes come from behind at speed with no warning. A quick Ding-ding may prevent "Is it cold in there?" as walkers don't always follow a straight line, especially when negotiating dog sh/t. But as a cyclist on the towpath, dinging the bell doesn't always work, and has caused confrontation. "Look. I'm not going to move out of your way. Go round." has been barked at me, after several dings by me, and not so much as a shoulder check by the walker until I had come to a complete halt. Acknowledgement would be appreciated. And dings at canal bridges.

As my cycling these days is mainly off road, if I discover fellow mtb'ers on the trail appearing in need of mechanical assistance I consider it trail etiquette to always slow / stop to offer a helping hand if needed. The majority of times I get a " Cheers pal, all good here ".

Sadly there's a section of the mtb community who don't do the rest of us any favours and just ride on by, but I suppose they must be the special ones who are better than other folk.

defy-one

1974328 said:
The drivers of these cars anticipated that he would ride into the back of the parked car rather than pass them at a safe distance?

You had to be there. Even i got annoyed with this buffoon

Greenway vs Cycleway

I was wondering where the different terminology came from when I found two leaflets in the local tourist info office that explains it. On this particular route (Summit to Brighouse) its referred to as a 'Cycleway' for half (Summit to about Sowerby Bridge) where it then becomes a 'Greenway' for Sowerby Bridge to Brighouse :wacko:

No wonder people get annoyed with each other as it seems the power's that be cannot decide what to call the bloomin thing!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
True,but this is what the OP was about and this is a cycling forum not a general politeness forum. Just saying "oh the world is full of tossers" doesn't make it OK.
Secondly, mud sticks, one good cyclist does not make people forget one bad one.
Finally, being stuck behind a group of walkers must be terrible, perhaps a little like being stuck behind a group of cyclists who think it is their right to ride three abrest while chatting [yes I've seen it, sadly more than once] and forcing other road users to a crawl behind them [Oh please no "primary riding position" excuses, this is just arrogance] As above, no, bad behavior is NOT confined to cyclists but too many forget it is a two way ticket.
I don't get any of this. Public space is not about getting from A to B - it's about recreating oneself, enjoying the company of one's fellow human beings. I've absolutely no problem about following a group of walkers. Equally, if I'm out for a ride and I want to keep company with the people I'm riding with, I'll ride two abreast, thankyou very much. If there's a queue of cars I'll let them by when it's safe, but don't tell me that I'm not allowed to ride with my friends.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm thinking "where the flip does he think he is going to go?". In any event Mr Beemer applied his brakes too late and will, I fear, be dealing with the paper work and phone calls, from the ensuing 4 car concertina for some time to come. Talking on his hands free. Oh Dear.
People around me at work are wondering why I'm giggling!!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As my cycling these days is mainly off road, if I discover fellow mtb'ers on the trail appearing in need of mechanical assistance I consider it trail etiquette to always slow / stop to offer a helping hand if needed. The majority of times I get a " Cheers pal, all good here ".

Sadly there's a section of the mtb community who don't do the rest of us any favours and just ride on by, but I suppose they must be the special ones who are better than other folk.
I've taken to asking "Got everything you need?" as a matter of course off road. On road, if they look like they know what they are doing I'll just nod, if not I'll ask the same.

Top Bottom