Why the indirectness...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I had to laugh the other day, I was in a cafe in Beverley, and there were 4 young girls at the next table.

The funny thing (to me) was that they were all furiously texting on their phones and not talking to one-another. How ignorant is that to the 'friends' at the table, and were the people (friends?) receiving the texts feeling undervalued at not being invited to the cafe?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
djtheglove said:
Thats not true.

Is for me, I got unlimited texts this month because i topped up £30 last month(although thought it was only 20) so i text. But then i mainly text anyway, its easier and unlike talking on the phone, you can be doing work and be texting when you can, instead of talking and working.

Mr Pig

ComedyPilot said:
the funny thing was that they were all furiously texting and not talking to one-another.

My son's teenage friends were up a few weeks ago and it was exactly the same story. Four of them sat in the livingroom, texting, not talking to each other. We are raising a generation of social illiterates.

I hate the way that sound quality on telephones just gets worse. Every new phone we get, whether it's a house or mobile one, sounds worse than its predecessor. No wonder people don't want to talk. Progress? Crap! Technology in the place of quality.

Moose

tdr1nka said:
Do you have 'Telephonophobia'?
*genuine Q btw*

I don't think it's quite that bad, but I do dislike using the phone.

I can use it quite easily if I need to for work, but if the phone rings at home or in the case of calling friends/family, then I end up waiting for them to call me or use the other methods mentioned

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yenners, great thread... I was about to post something similar.

I just started to rail against the modern penchant for written communication over the verbal. Texts are just chuffin' annoying and I'm close to refusing to acknowledge their existence... "I don't do text".
Same with email, I almost never use my personal email. Work email I'll use for information dissemination only,or broadcasting. Everything else I do by phone or getting out of my chair and walking to another department. Long given-up MSN.

Talking, human interraction... it's the way forward.

Fab Foodie said:
Yenners, great thread... I was about to post something similar.

I just started to rail against the modern penchant for written communication over the verbal. Texts are just chuffin' annoying and I'm close to refusing to acknowledge their existence... "I don't do text".
Same with email, I almost never use my personal email. Work email I'll use for information dissemination only,or broadcasting. Everything else I do by phone or getting out of my chair and walking to another department. Long given-up MSN.

Talking, human interraction... it's the way forward.

;) You know you're on a forum right? Electronic communication and wot not. Not a conference call.

:angry:

Crackle said:
;) You know you're on a forum right? Electronic communication and wot not. Not a conference call.

Nah. No-one here. No-one here actually exists and this doesn't count. Look, I can spend my evening bandying legs with Abitrary. Isn't the 21st C wonderful?

Fab Foodie

Crackle said:

Yeah, the irony hadn't passed me by... :ohmy:
This is "broadcasting" though, not personal messaging. I make a distinction, personal messaging should (in my view) use the spoken word.

Fab Foodie

Chuffy said:
It's all communication isn't it? Or is there a hierarchy?
I think there is a heirarchy and also a motives issue. Mrs FF uses texting because she prefers not to have to engage with another human, I dislike recieving text because subconciously I think that person does not want to talk to me.

Chuffy said:
Nah. No-one here. No-one here actually exists and this doesn't count. Look, I can spend my evening bandying legs with Abitrary. Isn't the 21st C wonderful?

<strokes chin> Well Abitrary and Bonj and the Hadron Collider don't exist, they are figments of someones imagination but others............

Top Bottom