Why vintage bikes are better than new bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking through the vintage section of Ebay I came across a photo that explains why old bikes are so much nicer than new. Turns out it's got less to do with craftsmanship than it does good husbandry.
You see, once built, vintage bikes are free range and grass fed!

s-l1600.jpg

midlife

Guru
3 sets of suicide levers spotted.....they won't last long in the wild :smile:

southcoast

Über Member
They look too good to be put out to grass!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Are the suicide levers the ones that are in the middle bars that like to fail in your moment of need. Ping, I seem to recall.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They worked OK if your wheels were very true, so you could keep the pads close to the rim. There was just enough travel in the levers to apply the brakes then. They were killed off by Shimano moving the pivot point of their "aero" levers so they could easily be applied from the hoods. These days, you virtually never see professionals riding on the drops; they set the bars as low as possible and ride on the hoods. They might as well have bullhorns, except they're not allowed in mass-start races.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They worked OK if your wheels were very true, so you could keep the pads close to the rim. There was just enough travel in the levers to apply the brakes then. They were killed off by Shimano moving the pivot point of their "aero" levers so they could easily be applied from the hoods. These days, you virtually never see professionals riding on the drops; they set the bars as low as possible and ride on the hoods. They might as well have bullhorns, except they're not allowed in mass-start races.
Whereas with older brake levers you could never brake from 'the hoods' you might as well have started blowing in front of you to stop given the leverage achieved by that technique.

Top Bottom