Why wearing a helmet could effect your legal status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shame there is no distinction made between different modes of cycling, racing vs. commuting vs. MTB vs. utility vs. ...

Each of these would have a different risk profile. Personally I see no reason to wear a helmet commuting or for utility purposes like going to the shops, however, I would wear one to race or go mountain biking. It happens that I don't do either of the latter activities so have no need for a helmet.

The article misses the point totally!!

He was according to the article cycling dangerously.

Therein lies the real issue. Wearing a helmet would not have made him any safer.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
knowing that any money due to my loved ones will be cut by 2/3's, because i chose not wear a piece of ineffective styrofoam, is a scary thought. why is my basic right of choice being eroded by mamby pamby nanny state goodie two shoes?

sheddy

Legendary Member
A Teambuilder day requiring employees to race each other ?
The organisers should really pick up the tab for this

Therein lies the real issue. Wearing a helmet would not have made him any safer.

Ah, but it would have made him invincible ;)

Albert

Über Member
Seatbelts, Motorcycle Helmets, Fox Hunting Ban, Various Smoking Bans. Who fought against these "thin edge of the wedges"? All these may or may not be good for us, but each time compusion is accepted by the general population in one area, it becomes easier for HMGs to impose the next ban.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
knowing that any money due to my loved ones will be cut by 2/3's, because i chose not wear a piece of ineffective styrofoam, is a scary thought. why is my basic right of choice being eroded by mamby pamby nanny state goodie two shoes?

I have had 4 accidents in the last 12 months each of which caused serious damage to the helmet I was wearing at the time. That would have been 4 severe head injuries had my helmet not taken the impact. 'a piece of ineffective styrofoam' in my case I think not! Didn't stop arm, hip and hand injuries but I don't think dressing up in American football gear would help my cycling any
whistling.gif

Because apparently you are not entitled, as being anti compulsion is unreasonable and unacceptable

The logic is this:

...if you are anti compulsion which is the same as wearing a helmet you are anti helmet

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I have had 4 accidents in the last 12 months each of which caused serious damage to the helmet I was wearing at the time. That would have been 4 severe head injuries had my helmet not taken the impact. 'a piece of ineffective styrofoam' in my case I think not! Didn't stop arm, hip and hand injuries but I don't think dressing up in American football gear would help my cycling any
whistling.gif

it is unqualified statements like this that are eroding my basic human right of choice. there is no, i repeat, there is no evidence to show that styrofoam hats save lives or stop serious head injuries. a styrofoam hat may save a few cuts, bruises and bumps. however, that argument is for other threads, this one is about a numpty who chose to ride like a dick, fell off and got hurt and hurt someone else.

why does his actions affect my CHOICE not to wear a styrofoam hat, which at the moment (precedent set until overturned on appeal) could possibly reduce any payouts by 2/3's.

in effect, the state has said, pay a lobbying company, lot's of dosh, to wear the kings clothing (by wearing a styrofoam hat, people will see a safer cyclist) OR we'll punish you or your loved ones by making your life financially difficult after you've won your case. All this after an accident that wasn't my fault in the 1st place (if it was i wouldn't have been paid out).

whistling.gif

I think its your cycling style that needs looking at not American football gear. Four is a ridiculous number of serious accidents to have in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom