Why wearing a helmet could effect your legal status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
it is unqualified statements like this that are eroding my basic human right of choice. there is no, i repeat, there is no evidence to show that styrofoam hats save lives or stop serious head injuries. a styrofoam hat may save a few cuts, bruises and bumps. however, that argument is for other threads, this one is about a numpty who chose to ride like a dick, fell off and got hurt and hurt someone else.

why does his actions affect my CHOICE not to wear a styrofoam hat, which at the moment (precedent set until overturned on appeal) could possibly reduce any payouts by 2/3's.

in effect, the state has said, pay a lobbying company, lot's of dosh, to wear the kings clothing (by wearing a styrofoam hat, people will see a safer cyclist) OR we'll punish you or your loved ones by making your life financially difficult after you've won your case. All this after an accident that wasn't my fault in the 1st place (if it was i wouldn't have been paid out).

Are you aware that God doesn't exist :tongue:

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I think its your cycling style that needs looking at not American football gear. Four is a ridiculous number of serious accidents to have in a year.

Riding style? Based upon assumption I presume?

1. On a cycle track on the main road. Driver cut in front and stopped very quickly. Attempted to stop but car or floor? You decide
2. Up a hill my right cleat came out as I got out of the saddle to ascend. On inspection a piece of the cleat had snapped off
3. Caught unaware by a mean old cross wind that blew my light old ass a little to the left to which I hit a rather large pot hole and took a nose dive
4. Some as decided to drive a couple of inches away from me forcing me into clipping the pavement. He also managed to carry on down the road as I was laying in a heap as did the 3 cars that were slightly behind him!

I would value an expert opinion on my style of riding if anyone has the time.

I suppose though if I'm travelling around 500 miles per week then I'm bound to find myself in more predicaments than most?

We could find out?

Try banging your head against a wall
Then repeat whilst performing a religious rite

Now repeat performing the rites of various other religions (you may need to find a wall poisitioned so that you are facing Mecca)

Which one hurts less?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
A helmet is not designed to make people cycle safer, just as a seat belt is not designed to make you drive safer. Their intention is to prevent or reduce injury should a fall or crash happen.

You claim people not wearing helmets therefore cycle safer, that was not the case in this instance as he was cycling dangerously, therefore the link between helmet wearing and more risk is not apparent in this case.

If as you say wearing a helmet would not have made a difference to how he cycled, the claim of cycling less dangerously without a helmet argument is flawed.

Ah, but if he had been wearing a helmet he might have cycled even more dangerously.

I suppose though if I'm travelling around 500 miles per week then I'm bound to find myself in more predicaments than most?

500 miles a week? At a fast 20mph average that's 25 hours a week of riding; at 15mph, 33 hours. So at least three and a half hours riding every single day or five hours riding every weekday. How do you find time to do other things like live and work?

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
We could find out?

Try banging your head against a wall
Then repeat whilst performing a religious rite

Now repeat performing the rites of various other religions (you may need to find a wall poisitioned so that you are facing Mecca)

Which one hurts less?

And now you are just being silly. You know the point I was trying to make. How do you know it did not save damage to my head!!! For goodness sakes
wacko.gif

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
500 miles a week? At a fast 20mph average that's 25 hours a week of riding; at 15mph, 33 hours. So at least three and a half hours riding every single day or five hours riding every weekday. How do you find time to do other things like live and work?

At least 3 hours every weekday and long rides at the weekend. I have a charity ride starting next friday. 666 miles to Newcastle and back with a half marathon (the Great North) in the middle
biggrin.gif

And now you are just being silly. You know the point I was trying to make. How do you know it did not save damage to my head!!! For goodness sakes

How do you prove / disprove divine intervention though?

A little silly I admit, but the culmination of any argument between faith an science must come down to this eventually

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
How do you prove / disprove divine intervention though?

A little silly I admit, but the culmination of any argument between faith an science must come down to this eventually

I have proof that my helmet saved damage to my head and Gosport is one of the most boring places in the UK :tongue:

Only because I have lived there for the last 20 years
ohmy.gif

wacko.gif

It might have saved a bump or scrape but you can fairly easily show it was unlikely to have saved anything greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom