Why wearing a helmet could effect your legal status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Well after listing the four accidents you had in the year you said "I suppose though if I'm travelling around 500 miles per week then I'm bound to find myself in more predicaments than most?" with the clear implication you did that every week for the year in question. 500 miles a week times 56 weeks is 28,000 miles. The odds of you being right have just got dramatically worse.

No, I'm not a betting man. I know even with odds smodds and the laws of sod and chaos included the bookmaker will still always win overall. But there are plenty of people who lose their money week after week because a win they or someone they know once had has convinced them they can beat the odds.

I agree. The odds that the helmet did nothing just got better.

No opinions, just the logical conclusions of the evidence. But yet again we've run into the evidence vs faith conflict.

And no I'm not an IT programmer.

I wonder how many don't get reported and whether we are looking at a true reflection?

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Bleeding newcomers, settle in a place and making judgements!

rolleyes.gif
Changed a lot in 20 years!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I wonder how many don't get reported and whether we are looking at a true reflection?

Do you mean there might be accidents that would have resulted in a serious head injury, that are going unreported because the victim was wearing a helmet, so the accident was less serious?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!

You wonder how many Killed and Seriously Injured don't get reported? The number would be somewhere about 0!

Unfortunately for your line of argument ( I presumed you have one apart from " My helmet broke, so it must be a miracle!" ?) the problem swings the other way. The measurment of "serious Injury" is a stay overnight in hospital, as soon as you are thought to have a head injury you are kept in overnight for obsevation, that then gets recorded as a "serious injury" even though it might not be. That means that mush as you would wish there to be MORE serious head injuries to try and bolster your belief, due a a dichotomy between measerement standards and reporting standards there are actually less , which makes your four miracles even more miraculous. Well done!

Little yellow Brompton

1536868 said:
Bicycles, motorcycles, racing cars, and military aeroplanes but under no other circumstance I'm given to understand.

That's one of the problems isn't it? Compared with the last three the first one is only half a system.

Fatalities tend not to be under-reported for obvious reasons. There is under-reporting of serious injuries and greater under-reporting on minor injuries but not enough to make any difference to the conclusions.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
You wonder how many Killed and Seriously Injured don't get reported? The number would be somewhere about 0!

Unfortunately for your line of argument ( I presumed you have one apart from " My helmet broke, so it must be a miracle!" ?) the problem swings the other way. The measurment of "serious Injury" is a stay overnight in hospital, as soon as you are thought to have a head injury you are kept in overnight for obsevation, that then gets recorded as a "serious injury" even though it might not be. That means that mush as you would wish there to be MORE serious head injuries to try and bolster your belief, due a a dichotomy between measerement standards and reporting standards there are actually less , which makes your four miracles even more miraculous. Well done!

No of course not how silly. I merely wonder how many cycle accidents involving bashed heads get reported! There's absolutely no need to be a tit about this really
wacko.gif
but tbh you are very good at jumping to conclusions

Alun

Guru
1536868 said:
Bicycles, motorcycles, racing cars, and military aeroplanes but under no other circumstance I'm given to understand.

No no, there are a lot of mundane activities where helmets are worn, ice hockey, horse racing and American football spring to mind

Oh **** - more statistics. Stick to observed measurements - and then make your personal choice. Observed and measured - vehicle drivers come closer to people wearing helmets.

One choice (mine) - "I'd rather have the space and avoid the increased chance of an "accident".

The other choice (fine by me, but not mine) - "I'd rather run the increased risk of an accident and trust to the helmet's protection."

Little yellow Brompton

No of course not how silly. I merely wonder how many cycle accidents involving bashed heads get reported! There's absolutely no need to be a tit about this really
wacko.gif
but tbh you are very good at jumping to conclusions

I'm not the one concluding that a helmwt saved me life 4 times in a year, based on the evidence of a broken helmet.

1536875 said:
Horse racing fair enough, that can go on the list. The other two are forn activities.

I'll leave it to someone else to point out how America Football helmets don't seem to protect the brain from being shaken inside the skull but do appear to exacerbate neck injuries.

And that ski helmets have not reduced head injuries but they have lead to people skiing faster and more accidents

No of course not how silly. I merely wonder how many cycle accidents involving bashed heads get reported!

I guess there are two types of bashed heads. Those that are serious enough that they get reported by at least the two thirds of cyclists that were not wearing helmets when it happened. Assuming that helmeted cyclists are not more accident prone than those without helmets, it allows us to put an upper limit on the number of helmet wearers having those types of accidents irrespective of whether they are reported or not - its simply pro-rata to the numbers and helmet wearing percent - and the number is very small.

Then there are the bashed heads which are too trivial to bother reporting. In those cases the helmet might have saved you a small bump or scrape but it in no way saved your life or a serious brain injury. If you want to wear a helmet to prevent minor bumps and scrapes that's fine but not the reason most people claim they wear one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom