Why wont my gears work/ rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Solecyclist

Hi Folks can any one tell me if a shimano Deore 11 speed rear deraileur is compatible with Shimano 105 5800?.Ive had such a deraileur fitted to my 105 system as my local bikeshop didnt have the 105 rear deraileur in stock.Im having so much trouble getting onto my 32 tooth sprocket and its imposdible to get to my 11 tooth sprocket.Any help would be so appreciated.Thankyou!

Attachments

• 20220919_164701.jpg
    20220919_164701.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 4

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Have they adjusted the Hi-Lo set screws correctly? You say your LBS fitted it? Take it back. Sounds like the most likely cause. Deore 5100 handles 32 & 11t.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hi Folks can any one tell me if a shimano Deore 11 speed rear deraileur is compatible with Shimano 105 5800?.Ive had such a deraileur fitted to my 105 system as my local bikeshop didnt have the 105 rear deraileur in stock.Im having so much trouble getting onto my 32 tooth sprocket and its imposdible to get to my 11 tooth sprocket.Any help would be so appreciated.Thankyou!
I shall have a go and shall assume that the RD is an M-5100 (Deore). I have not tested this.
The shift ratio of the Deore RD (11sp) is 1.1. A Road RD has a shift ratio of 1.4 - and 'obviously' the 105 ST-5800s at each click will pull the required cable. (All Shimano 11sp cassettes have a sprocket pitch of 3.74mm.)

So the OP's new RD is moving its cage only 80% of the distance needed (per sprocket)
Getting the cage right in the middle sprocket (which is maybe what the bike shop has done) would mean that the RD will not 'reach' across to the smallest (11) and largest (1) sprocket.
Which is the symptom described in the OP. Unscrewing the limit screws will have no effect.
*'Shift ratio' is the distance in mm) that RD moves laterally per 1 mm of cable movement.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

The "Mechanic" (Saturday boy?) who fitted it is a prat.

Top Bottom