Why wont my gears work/ rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solecyclist

Hi there.Ive just a new rear deraileur fitted to my bike.The mechanic couldnt get my gears to fully work on the rear cassette.I cant get the lowest 32 tooth and the lowest 11 tooth sprocket.After eliminating all the possible causes he suggested the trigger might be stuffed.Do triggers wear out?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Presume you can get the lowest chain ring and sprocket if you unclamp the cable?

C R

Guru
Hi there.Ive just a new rear deraileur fitted to my bike.The mechanic couldnt get my gears to fully work on the rear cassette.I cant get the lowest 32 tooth and the lowest 11 tooth sprocket.After eliminating all the possible causes he suggested the trigger might be stuffed.Do triggers wear out?

Do you mean you can't get into the 11T sprocket when the chain is in the 32T chainring at the front, or that you can't get into the smallest 11T or the largest 32T at the back.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, shifters can have problems. Are they the combined brake/shifter type?
If you unclamp the cable can you make it move across to all gears by hand? There is a screw with adjusts the travel of the derailleur but if he's a competent mechanical he should know to to do that.

Sounds like limit screws to me? Got more details? Spec of derailleur, cassette, triggers.

Chislenko

Veteran
Did you have 11-32 before?

Has he fitted the correct rear mech?

Did the trigger work before?

Do you know a different mechanic?

Reactions: gbb

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds like limit screws to me? Got more details? Spec of derailleur, cassette, triggers.

i would go with that too , as @ianrauk says if a mechanic cant sort that out they need a good kick up the derrier

Was there damage to the original derailleur? Or just poor shifting?
If this mechanic says it's rear shifter, he might say its cassette, chain or chainset next, who knows, he might advise needing a new bike?
Sounds iffy to me, but hope its a quick fix for you :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
Did you have 11-32 before?

Has he fitted the correct rear mech?

Did the trigger work before?

Do you know a different mechanic?

All the questions I would be asking were it me :okay:

Ie,
Has anything else changed ?
It the rear mech EXACTLY the same.
If it was working before, tbf you might be complicating things going down the wrong road.

The obvious things to me would be
Incorrectly set limit screws
Cable not routed correctly
Incorrect RD fitted...(perhaps someone know if different generations of the same RD have different pulls etc...I don't know myself but I would be asking)

Also, as the original RD was replaced, why ?
If it suffered damage, is the hanger OK?

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

andy63

Regular
surely the first thing to check before working on any adjustments is the hanger alignment... if thats not right everything else is meaningless and you will be making adjustments to correct a basic fault..
cheers
Andy

An entry level mechanic can isolate the issue even it's in the shifter. As others have suggested try another mechanic. You should be able to cycle still.

Top Bottom