Why would the charge cycles of this 2nd hand orbea gain f20 I might buy be so high at about 250 when the mileage is only about 1,200?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scebike

Doesn't that work out to about just 4.8 miles per charge cycle, or am I doing something wrong with my calculation, or is there something else going on?
1000002153.jpg

1000002154.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
Cycle count will be accurate but the distance covered will be based on wheel rotation sensor readings......a 'non standard' wheel rotation reading may or may not defeat the 15.5mph assistance cut off.

My Boardman 8.9e may or may not show similar 'odd' figures on cycle count versus odometer.

Good morning,

The charge cycle count doesn't go up by 1 every time you plug in a charger it tries to add 1 for
  • Flat to fully charged
  • 2 times 50% to fully charged
  • 4 times 75% to fully charged
  • 10 times 90% to fully charged
  • etc.
So a random owner recharging after every 5 miles would probably be doing 5-20 charges per 1 charge cycle.

Looking around here and the web in general there appears to be a concensus that the mileage can get reset randomly, it is also possible that a change of motor may do the same. If the total milage goes doolally then any calculations based on that value will also be quite suspect.

However 25miles off a full charge is quite possible if the bike is being ridden with minimal pedal input and a lot of motor input, fairly recently I
had five pints of a 7.3% stout and got through about 60% of charge next morning in 18 miles.

I haven't seen any reports of issues with the charge cycle count, added to which a loss of around 30Wh off the battery capacity (250-215) seems to be fairly consistent with the rule of thumb of 20% capacity loss after 300 charge cycles.

So I would believe the charge cycle count and discard the mileage. This would give a rough usage of around 6,000 miles, does the bike look like that? This would have resulted in multiple cassettes and chain changes but would liikely be original wheels and chainrings which would show wear but nowhere near end of life.

My Ribble disables the maximum assist mode at around 25% of battery capacity, clearly with a reduced capacity and if you have a similar limiter then it will be a lot easier to hit it as the batter capacity drops.

For a novelty/light use/introduction to ebikes the battery condition is quite possibly acceptable. For a bike that is expected to see hard usage I would be buying it knowing that a new battery may be needed/wanted soon, they seem to be in the £500-£650 range.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom