Why wouldn't you commute by bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
coruskate said:
While we're talking about London, my experience is that on a hot day you will arrive at work less sweaty after cycling a few miles than if you take the tube. Especially if it's at all humid.

+1

Tubed it a couple of days last week and arrived much more uncomfortable than from the B. Only about 2 miles though (it's actually longer by tube!).

BentMikey said:
First time I've ever heard cycling described as nerdy!!
Unfortunately it seems to be our culture (or lack of culture) I've quite often heard of cyclist being seen as an out group and this being used to explain how we are treated by others.

HLaB said:
Unfortunately it seems to be our culture (or lack of culture) I've quite often heard of cyclist being seen as an out group and this being used to explain how we are treated by others.

Eccentric or weird?

Im not part of the car culture...but luckily I don't have to be....Other people see this as weird,eccentric..gay or whatever you want to call it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Also don't have shower and have a 17 mile commute.
But a pack of baby wipes & deodorant works wonders. (I think.. asking round the office if I smell :laugh:)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HLaB said:

That's not nerdy though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
ianrauk said:
Also don't have shower and have a 17 mile commute.
But a pack of baby wipes & deodorant works wonders. (I think.. asking round the office if I smell :laugh:)

+1 - Every day, plus site visits, where the deo and babywipes might come out a few times after various stop offs.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
15 miles here and no shower, baby wipes, towel and deodorant works wonders. I thought the thing with sweat was that when it drys it makes clothes smell so as long as you change no problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BentMikey said:
That's not nerdy though.

Hmm, tis a bit nerdy............Some angry little twit in a car shouted "hmhmhmhmhmhm hmhmhmhm popeye' at me - not a clue what he was on about :laugh: - I was sat in primary at a set of lights - he passed and was stuck again at the next set, and as I went past AGAIN he was 'yes you'.....:wacko:

No idea what he was on about and ignored him.....probably suffering delusions in the heat in his non a/c Pug 106, but us cyclists are a bit like Popeye for some reason ? :biggrin:

Mike!

Guru
I have recently started a 5.5 mile commute and although we don't have showers i do not find it a problem. We have a decent toilet area where i can have a quick wash and spray with nice smellies before changing into my trousers, shirt & tie.

Should have started 3 years ago when i got this job!

I can understand people thinking it's dangerous, i am a biker (powered version) too so have good awareness anyway so for me that's not an issue!

crumpetman

The idea that cycling is dangerous never occurred to me before I started commuting (and I was not a regular cyclist before that) and I still do not think it is any more dangerous than driving! It was really just the distance that put me off and the risk of a puncture or some other mechanical failure that would leave me stranded.

Not sure how to encourage other people especially if they do not have bikes already. Some sort of group "fun ride" that you could organise with your employer? Get a local bike shop to donate some bikes for people to use? Pick some quieter routes with cycle paths etc.

Top Bottom