Why wouldn't you commute by bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
First time I've ever heard cycling described as nerdy!!

you need to get out more Mikey;)

Seriously though, I have heard it plenty and even own up to being a signed up member of the "dark side" in those days. I worked at a place that literally survived on perception. If i didnt strutt about the place calling the shots and acting like i owned the place, I wasnt given projects to run ...which had a direct impact on my income (bonus related salary). If you stepped outside the "mould" in any way and showed independent thought or personality you were kind of shunned.

Turning up on a bike (with its own name) wearing a hi-vis jacket, special gloves and clipity-clip shoes, would have been a fast-track ticket to nowhere'sville. And in that environment, I heard the term Nerdy, plenty.

Mike!

Guru
hackbike 666 said:
I get a lot of this gay 5h1t probably because the lycra turns them on.:laugh:

Funnily enough the females in my office have never made a comment or anything regarding my lycra shorts. However our Engineering Manager seems fascinated by them :wacko: Not sure if his Wife knows :biggrin:

LazyCat

I just tell them that cycling saves me 35min of commuting time every morning, which I can spend sleeping, and another 35min in the evening, which I can spend drinking. That is one extra night of sleeping AND one extra night of drinking time per month.

Furthermore the drinking is free, because I use the money I would have spent on a travelcard.

taxing

I reckon part of it is just that people get stuck in their ways and don't like to try new things.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Didn't York city council do a survey of more generally why people didn't cycle and came up with the most ridiculous list of excuses ever. I think that pretty much summed things up.

martynjc1977

Veteran
I usually get " how far I would never cycle that far to work " (5 miles lol) or they are supprised how quickly i can cover that distance, tho I do need a shower when I arrive.
I think some people forget that cycling can be a quicker alternative to sitting in traffic or public transport and in times of money trouble and cutbacks far far cheaper.

potsy

Rambler
We have 2 newbies this week,must be the sunshine bringing them out.Think some of my colleagues are put off by the hours we work- ie finishing at 10pm or starting at 6am,though the bike racks are getting quite full again now.

The main reason I don't cycle in (eight miles) is that there's not just no shower - and I would need one, I sweat a lot - but there isn't even anywhere to get changed. The toilets are filthy and I have no desire to start my shift hanging around in them. The other reason I don't cycle it is that I'd have to carry my size 12 safety boots and a change of clothes. And the third reason is that I enjoy driving there in my doorless 2CV.:biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Whoops. My new office has an en suite bathroom, complete with bidet. :biggrin:

Got a bit difficult this morning when the cleaner took my personal towel and left a terry towelling bathrobe in its place.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
coruskate said:
While we're talking about London, my experience is that on a hot day you will arrive at work less sweaty after cycling a few miles than if you take the tube. Especially if it's at all humid.
I agree. A gentle commute by Brompton didn't ever get me sweaty, wearing ordinary office clothes, while I used to dread it if I ever had to do a rush-hour tube journey in the summer.

Maizie

Guru
I just got changed to come home, in the ladies. A colleague was in there at the same time, and as I walked out she asked why my shoes were so loud (in the office we are on carpet, so not heard).
"There are metal cleats in the sole"
"Eh?"
*lifts up shoe to show sole*
"Cleats"
"What are they for then?"
"They clip in to the pedal"
"What, so you're like attached?"
"Yes, stops you slipping of the pedals in the rain, and helps you get really stuck in on the pedals to be more efficient"
"But you're, like, attached? That's so dangerous!"

Apparently not being able to escape from being attached to the bike is another danger I'd not noticed...

Top Bottom