Why wouldn't you wear a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
or is it you wouldn't put an ugly head under a pefectly crafted and designed peice of plastic?
No; I wear a full face, comfortable Shoei Raid 2 helmet while riding my motorbike.
Why?
1. It is a legal requirement.
2. It might afford me a degree of protection if I bash my head on a solid object at low speeds.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
I'd wear one ... (I do normally just not all the time), have they got anywhere near yet ... one that would be GUARANTEED to protect me even in 50% of the accidents (proven scientifically using proper realistic tests).
Well you can only really hope for roughly 40% max protection as stasticly only 40% of admissions to A&E are head injuries.
But if I must smack my head into something I would rather do it with a helmet on than not.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well you can only really hope for roughly 40% max protection as stasticly only 40% of admissions to A&E are head injuries.
But if I must smack my head into something I would rather do it with a helmet on than not.
I didn't realise that you meant all accidents I was talking about cycling as I don't (ignoring wandering around the supermarket occasionally), tend to wear mine off the bike. And I doubt 40% of admissions to A&E from bike accidents are just head injuries - I would guess broken bones as the most common admission reason (but note guess I don't know). But as yet for those head injury admissions you can't actually provide scientific evidence that a helmet would have prevented the injury?

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
No; I wear a full face, comfortable Shoei Raid 2 helmet while riding my motorbike.
Why?
1. It is a legal requirement.
2. It might afford me a degree of protection if I bash my head on a solid object at low speeds.

which part of not wishing to portray cycling as a dangerous activity did you not understand?
I think cycling is dangerous, I think driving a car is dangerous, or parachuting or skiing, hill walking can kill, theres an eliment of danger in most things.

So do you wear a helmet all the time?

No only in situations were I am likely to smack my head
Would you wear a motorbike helmet if it wasn't a legal requirement?

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
I didn't realise that you meant all accidents I was talking about cycling as I don't (ignoring wandering around the supermarket occasionally), tend to wear mine off the bike. And I doubt 40% of admissions to A&E from bike accidents are just head injuries - I would guess broken bones as the most common admission reason (but note guess I don't know). But as yet for those head injury admissions you can't actually provide scientific evidence that a helmet would have prevented the injury?
They didn't else you wouldn't be in A&E - but you cannot prove scientifically they didn't lessen the injury

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think cycling is dangerous, I think driving a car is dangerous, or parachuting or skiing, hill walking can kill, theres an eliment of danger in most things.

No only in situations were I am likely to smack my head
So you wear one when it's dangerous driving a car then? As lots of head injuries occur in cars.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
So you wear one when it's dangerous driving a car then? As lots of head injuries occur in cars.
Don't formula 1,2,3&4 drivers wear helmets?
No I don't I reckon the seat belt or the air bag will kill me first.

Brandane

Legendary Member

Not all the time. I would have to carry out a risk assessment as to what speeds I would be doing, the chances of having an off, etc. etc.. If I was just riding to the shops along the road, then the answer is NO, I wouldn't wear it as I would be riding at less than 30 mph for a short distance.
Similarly if I could ride a bicycle at 70 mph I would be more inclined to wear a helmet; but I certainly wouldn't be relying on one of the currently available offerings to give me any sort of protection at that speed. In any case there wouldn't be much point in saving my skull when my skin would be shredded from the neck down. I wear leathers on the motorbike which give a degree of protection against such things; they also have armour in them at the knee, hip and shoulder joint areas. What do you wear on your bicycle; since you are so safety conscious?

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
I didn't ask you to, I don't want you to stop wearing one, you want to convince me that I should wear one so you need to provide the evidence as to why I should.

No I don't want to convience anybody, My point was actual safety is an irrelivance, its attitudes that decide on wether you wear a helmet or not,
not dubious statstics. Its all about perception not effectiveness

Brandane

Legendary Member
No I don't want to convience anybody, My point was actual safety is an irrelivance, its attitudes that decide on wether you wear a helmet or not,

So you've been duped by those clever marketing people employed by helmet manufacturers. Thanks for clearing that up.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Not all the time. I would have to carry out a risk assessment as to what speeds I would be doing, the chances of having an off, etc. etc.. If I was just riding to the shops along the road, then the answer is NO, I wouldn't wear it as I would be riding at less than 30 mph for a short distance.
Similarly if I could ride a bicycle at 70 mph I would be more inclined to wear a helmet; but I certainly wouldn't be relying on one of the currently available offerings to give me any sort of protection at that speed. In any case there wouldn't be much point in saving my skull when my skin would be shredded from the neck down. I wear leathers on the motorbike which give a degree of protection against such things; they also have armour in them at the knee, hip and shoulder joint areas. What do you wear on your bicycle; since you are so safety conscious?
And yet your just as likely to die under the wheels of 60ton artic on a short journey at under 30miles an hour, Accidents occur irrespective of distance or speed. and can be just as fatal.
who's safety conscious? - I'm danger aware and try to avoid it - but hell I used to jump out of planes over woods at night - so who am i talk of avoiding danger.

snorri

Legendary Member
No Licramite, it is about inconvenience, it is not about safety being an irrelevance, it is not about dubious statistics, it is about reliable statistics from recognised sources and it is about effectiveness.
How many reasons do you have to hear from people who simply don't want to adopt this relatively new and quaintly British fad of wearing a helmet when cycling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom