Whyte gravel bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
That whyte looks good. I like it a lot!

A lot of mounting points
Dropper post
I even like the colour and how subtle the brand name is

@vickster I suspect as you say Ti might be a bit of of a stretch for a 2k budget. Actually, would be good to find out what the cheapest Titanium bike out there is

Joffey

Big Dosser
I bought a Free Ranger from PX without trying it. I'm really happy with it. Sizing is accurate and it's a lovely ride. I went with the 650b wheels - gotta say the tyres are a but grippy but that is my only quibble.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I bought a Free Ranger from PX without trying it. I'm really happy with it. Sizing is accurate and it's a lovely ride. I went with the 650b wheels - gotta say the tyres are a but grippy but that is my only quibble.
Is that the one with the OTT colour scheme? Not for me...single/max 2 colours (colour is probably #2 on the list after the SRAM groupset ;) )

I do actually have a Ti bike that would probably take 35s, but I'm not sure I want it as a main winter bike :wacko:

Planet X have a 2.3k Ti with single SRAM Rival. In reality, I don't have a top budget (within reason) but just a figure in my head that is justifiable for a bike I don't really need :laugh:
I prefer not to have two bikes the same colour/look in the stable either :wacko:

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Is that the one with the OTT colour scheme? Not for me...single/max 2 colours (colour is probably #2 on the list after the SRAM groupset ;) )

I do actually have a Ti bike that would probably take 35s, but I'm not sure I want it as a main winter bike :wacko:

Planet X have a 2.3k Ti with single SRAM Rival. In reality, I don't have a top budget (within reason) but just a figure in my head that is justifiable for a bike I don't really need :laugh:
I prefer not to have two bikes the same colour/look in the stable either :wacko:

There is the Cream Egg colour scheme yes... but I didn't go for that one:

There is a red and black version too which is quieter still.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
There is the Cream Egg colour scheme yes... but I didn't go for that one:

View attachment 607208

There is a red and black version too which is quieter still.
You used the B...word :stop:

(I do have a bike that is red, white and dare I say it black...so won't want another) and it’s carbon, the one frame material I don’t want as I’ll be adding rack and mudguards

Ideally I'd like metallic green, Ribble do custom colour but no sram option, their lead times are ridiculous and I haven't seen the bikes

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Comes with 32mm tyres I think, If going for a gravel option, I'll want to be able to go up to 38/40 min...and the colours of the alu versions are minging (black zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and zesty lime xx( )!
Agree re the aluminium colours but my link was to show the cheap titanium as per the question from @fair weather cyclist

Have you considered Kinesis? I have the Tripster ATRV3 which is a very good bike. I appreciate the ATR is outside your budget but it could be worth looking at the aluminium Tripster frameset or the G2 bike. I'm not sure about colours as I don't know if they only offer those illustrated

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Agree re the aluminium colours but my link was to show the cheap titanium as per the question from @fair weather cyclist

Have you considered Kinesis? I have the Tripster ATRV3 which is a very good bike. I appreciate the ATR is outside your budget but it could be worth looking at the aluminium Tripster frameset or the G2 bike. I'm not sure about colours as I don't know if they only offer those illustrated
I did look at the G2 but I’m not sure on the olive colour and unknown delivery on the 54cm
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Kinesis/G2-Gravel-Bike-2021/SSC5

I don’t want to get involved with builds from a frame set, especially with the dearth of parts, can get v expensive v quickly.

Some of the Rondo offers are appealing although my required spec and colour needs don’t seem to be catered for
https://www.sigmasports.com/bikes/gravel?manufacturer_name[]=rondo&sort=popularity&p=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Not available until January and might be difficult to go sit on one but what about a Sonder Camino with SRAM Rival?
https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-camino-al-v3-rival1-hydraulic
There is also an Apex spec which looks great value.

Or you might fancy another TI?
https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-camino-ti-rival1-mechanical
I did look at those thanks but I’d like a carbon rather than Alu fork and not overly keen on the look or waiting months and months. January bad time for new toy :biggrin:

Don't think I want another Ti :okay:

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Any experience of these beauties on the forum? Looking at this one
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...4-gravel-road-bike-2022-in-matt-diesel__28299

Considering a Gravel up to £2k, must have SRAM 1x groupset and be available to try out (which probably excludes PX/Dolan/Ribble might be able to get to Bluewater at some point). Alu, possibly Ti but likely too expensive

Oh must NOT be a dull colour like black/dark grey/olive green :whistle:

Blooming gorgeous things to ride and look at.

I tried the Gisburn a couple of years ago (eventually ended up with my dull black :tongue: Domane ALR Disc) and what a nice bike that was. I didn't order one as a) the back order time was too long (Domane was only 5 days and I'm impatient!) and the immediateley available demo' model, which was my size, was 10% off but had a huge scrape down one fork leg; would've fried my brain even though a couple of hundred quid would've been saved.

I did like the SRAM kit (I know you love it) and it was very intuitive, made more sense to me than Shimano tbh, but I think the bigger gear spacings would have taken me some getting used to. Although I am pretty sure I would have got there so to speak. Maybe the bigger jumps were initially more problematic for me as I tried the beast on a very hilly circuit.

1 x 12 aside (you will get more input from other experienced 1x12 users I'm sure - or maybe you already have one yourself?) I think they are stunning machines.

Looking like good value in the current market too.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope, no 1x group set in the fleet (all 50/34, 11-32, 10 or 11 speed).
I’ll have a chat to my mate at Balfe’s see if there’s one anywhere to drool over and sit on (maybe pre drooling :laugh:)

Top Bottom