Whyte Suffolk 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Nope, I have an issue with how they look and how common they are :biggrin:
Well your reply didn't say that. It asked if @Cycleops knew the brand or if he had ridden one, along with stating that Boardman was just an ex-cyclists name. That to me does not suggest it's only that they are too common around your way, else you would have said just that. You don't usually beat about the bush. ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't see his posts often :whistle: My comment about the brand was nothing to do with Boardman, although the naming of that brand hardly took imagination

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't see his posts often :whistle: My comment about the brand was nothing to do with Boardman, although the naming of that brand hardly took imagination
Well, if you're a well known Olympic gold medal winner and you want to launch a range of bikes you're not going to call it "Whyte".

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
The lad in Halfords was friendly enough but his professionalism was somewhat strained when I disagreed with his statement that a proper disc based road bike (rather than a 'cx' bike) was going to be more like 2-3k

When I mentioned the Whyte seemed to meet that criteria at a snip under £1200 his first response was does that have the little disc brakes??

I told him it had the latest hybrid cable/hydro calipers and his response was it sounds like a lot more to go wrong.... He couldn't quite bring himself to accept that a good bike can be found outside of Halfords. Shame really as he lost my interest after that.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Argh I keep looking at Genesis bikes!

This is the only one in the same price range

genesis-eq20d-15-1000.jpg

Colour is a bit marmite (literally) but I think I like it

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Much better!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Except the rear caliper is on the outside of the seat stay which is a bugger for guards of which you would have to get all bendy. Also for pannier racks. you would have to get one of those very wide jobbies to fit.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
The Kona looked nice until I saw that skinny front fork!

Noted about the disc caliper position, I saw some disc specific pannier racks in Halfords earlier, I assume they are designed with the problem you mention in mind? Is that what you mean by the wide jobbies?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Kona looked nice until I saw that skinny front fork!

Noted about the disc caliper position, I saw some disc specific pannier racks in Halfords earlier, I assume they are designed with the problem you mention in mind? Is that what you mean by the wide jobbies?

Yep.. they stick out a mile to have clearance of the brake caliper.
With the caliper on the inside you can attach a normal pannier rack, or as I do, a road specific, even thinner, Tortec Velocity rack
TORTRACK320_1_large.jpg

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Ian you got me looking at Kona now lol!

'Jake the Snake' looks OK, ticks the boxes but not sure on colour.

Still think the Whyte is looking the likely contender, unless I stumble across an Equilibrium Disc 20 in an LBS somewhere which is highly unlikely.

Top Bottom