Wickford/Basildon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rafferty

Apart from the CTC group, are there any non-competitive cycling clubs, or non competitive cyclists in this area? I am just getting back into cycling after a back problem, and need others for company and inspiration.

screenman

Legendary Member
Most clubs have a higher percentage of non competitive members than competitive one's. Lincoln wheelers of which I am a member has about 180 members, 20 comlete regularly, some may not even own a bike. You will find most old established clubs are like this.

I have this problem too there is no happy medium. Have a look at Hockley and Rayleigh cycling club if you are on facebook a bit informal but may have rides to suit. I have not gone along so can't comment. All other clubs I know in the area are race focused and although they do say they have social rides it depends who you get going along often there can be a lot of willy waving going on. The CTC lot are the polar opposite of this and may actually be your best bet.

Cheers

OP
OP
Rafferty

Rafferty

I have a real blind spot when it comes to the CTC. I was a member for years, but it seems to have changed it's focus. I may give them a go, but I'm not convinced I will fit in. They seem very 'cliquey' to me, having tried 1 ride with them about 3 years ago, before my back problem.

I have a real blind spot when it comes to the CTC. I was a member for years, but it seems to have changed it's focus. I may give them a go, but I'm not convinced I will fit in. They seem very 'cliquey' to me, having tried 1 ride with them about 3 years ago, before my back problem.

That's interesting when I first started cycling I used to ride with Wickford Group and found most of them welcoming and friendly so I ended up being a regular for a couple of years. In more recent times I moved on to a racing group but have recently ridden with them again. There are a lot of new faces, however there are still a few members from the time that I was a regular.

Diggs

Veteran
Hi @Rafferty . I'm in Billericay. Had a ride with Essex Roads a while ago but it never seems to fit in with other family stuff.
I also want to catch up with the Ingatestone Pedallers after reading about them but shoulder curtailed that meet as well
I'm trying to build up again, post my AC separation last year, so could do with a bit of additional impetus.
If you (or indeed anyone else out there CCers) fancy a ride out, let me know. Location, distances etc.

Diggs

Veteran
Hi diggs :hello:

yeah i'll be interested as well,just waiting for the weather to get better!.
I know the feeling, I don't mind the cold so much as the icy state of the roads, I don't want to drag Mrs D out of work again for another fun filled trip to A&E.
Still temperature is up to a scorching 4° tomorrow -Hopefully I'll get out.

OP
OP
Rafferty

Rafferty

Just looked at the Skyride site. May give them a go, although there are no groups in Basildon/Wickford/Billericay as yet.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
It strikes me that there may be enough of us in the local area to set something up without the auspices of a "club".

For me something that can fit in with family and is not too fast - I am not exactly at racing weight!

I am only down the road from Wickford - close to the Halfway House on the A127.

Top Bottom