Wide, supple tyres - what's the current state of the market?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
My brother uses Compass tyres which I've been gently lusting over for ages. Unfortunately, their price has gone from eye-watering to outrageous - the extra supple ones now cost about £70 each if you live in the UK.

I've been using Vittoria Voyager Hypers for years but I think they've been discontinued and are becoming less available and more expensive. I'm on the nominal 35mm ones now but could do with something a little bit narrower to fit on the new bike with mudguards (they are about 38mm mounted). A true 35mm tyre would be ideal.

I also find the slick Hypers a bit skittish on the greasy, muddy backroads common to North Devon. I suspect this may be exacerbated by their width - some seem to think narrow slicks dig in better. For that reason I'd like something with a file tread. I don't care about puncture protection.

So basically I'm asking if anyone knows where I can get some poor-mans Compass tyres? I've looked at Panaracer Gravel Kings but they only go up to 32mm and it sounds like they run small. Rivendell Jack Browns possibly? Panaracer Pasela?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't see how tread makes any difference on greasy surface mud/muck. Tread works by digging into a surface but if the surface isn't strong enough to stay put then it isn't going to help much. (Stab a fork into soil and try dragging it sideways. Compare that to stabbing the fork into sand and dragging it again!)

OP
OP
Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I can't see how tread makes any difference on greasy surface mud/muck. Tread works by digging into a surface but if the surface isn't strong enough to stay put then it isn't going to help much. (Stab a fork into soil and try dragging it sideways. Compare that to stabbing the fork into sand and dragging it again!)

I'd have thought it would increase the pressure at the apex of the tread to push through the thin layer of crud and reach the tarmac. The gullets would give the crud somewhere to go.

Hey, I could be way off but when I started cycling I bought the whole 'tread doesn't do anything on the road' argument and switched to Kojacks, then Hypers. They rolled a lot better but didn't have the same grip on greasy surfaces that my cheap old hybrid tyres had. They were more prone to tramlining too. I'm often told that knobbly tyres don't grip well on tarmac but there's a particular stretch I often test my brakes on where I tend to get a front wheel skid with 40mm Hypers. With 50mm full MTB knobblies I can brake as hard as I like, so I no longer believe that tread is useless on the road.

That said, I'm mainly interested in fat, supple tyres. A wee bit of tread is of secondary importance.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are often compared to the Vittoria Hypers. Usually about £30 a tyre but can be found less if you shop around.

Vittoria Randonneur Pro (if you can find some as they're being phased out) are similar to the Hypers in their ride quality. Except slightly more durable and I find them more confidence inspiring in the wet.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I run Compass, Grand Bois and Panaracer GK on 650b wheels. The GB Hetres are super comfy; Compass are in a league of their own - not too dear for everyday use IMO, given they wear very well; PGK are fast rolling, but ride is less compliant than GBH or C. PGK have a similar feel to high-end tyre if you play around with lower pressures.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Marathon Supreme here - 32mm although they do them in 35mm (which you probably know anyway).

Very grippy in the wet and dry. Last for ages. Good puncture protection although your not bothered about that - masochist?

Good luck with your search.

Top Bottom