width of chainsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Does the width of a chainset chain rings vary ?
Put a "cheap " fsa powerdirve chainset in and although i have a 10 speed microshift FD the chain rubs in either the top or bottom gear .
Cant remember it rubbing on the hollowtech 2 BB fsa chainset

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I imagine you mean between the two/three chainrings. Seems like they do , have you compared them? You just need to adjust the h/l screws.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Nope double to double
both compact hollowtech 2 to fsa powerdrive.
LBS claims my front mech is 9 speed but it is 10 speed although on further reading microshift is a bit pants .

chriscross1966

Über Member
Yes, each company has their own take on the perfect chainline, though some of them are pretty close.... I have endless fun putting aftermarket (generally Campagnolo Ultratorque) chainsets and bottom brackets in my Bromptons...

si_c

Guru
If you've changed the chainset, then it is likely that the position is subtly different from the previous one, so you may well need to adjust the high-low limit screws, and possibly the cable tension to remove the rub, might take a bit of trial and error.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

If you've changed the chainset, then it is likely that the position is subtly different from the previous one, so you may well need to adjust the high-low limit screws, and possibly the cable tension to remove the rub, might take a bit of trial and error.
Done that , it either rubs top or bottom, cant get it right .
On further reading the FD is a microshift jobbie that is renowned for being a bit pants so I am on the hunt on fleabay for a sram FD to match the rest of the groupset .

Top Bottom