Wife has agreed to let me have a dog! now trying to decide what breed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kerndog

Hi - My better half finally caved in and agreed to let me get a dog, which myself and our 3 kids are super happy about. Anyway this decision has opened a can of worms... and that is the 'what breed' can. It's proving tricky to agree on what we want/need/should get, so I'm turning to the dog owning folks here at cyclechat for some advice and thoughts.

So far we have a couple of breeds in mind... well I have one breed in mind, my wife isn't happy with my choice.
I love staffy's, always have. I've know loads and really like them, but they have a bad rep (yes its miss placed) which makes my OH a bit nervous, despite all of the info (from people who actually know what they are talking about rather than the daily mail and here say) out there to prove that they are fantastic dogs... 20 years ago they were the most popular family dog.

Anyway we have 3 kids and 4 cats and a big garden, live in the country by the woods and the beach and lead pretty outdoorsy lives. my wife wants a dog that doesn't malt or shed hair much, I dont want a long haired dog either or one of those labradoodle/cockapoo fluffy little old lady dogs. We want something robust enough to deal with a strong 4 year old boy and long walks in the woods and on the beach or moor's with the family, basically a robust strong dog with a good temperament and a zest for life.

Sooooo we are looking at the a few options, they are:
staffy,
lab
or maybe a staff lab x.

Anyone got any thoughts on the above or suggestions of other dogs?

Many thanks

Reactions: akb

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Brewdog

Labs shed like buggery. Seen a few Dalmation/Collie crosses which have boundless energy but downside might be the Collie temprament. Saying that, I have a Lab, working type not the squatter show breed and he runs and mtn bikes with me.

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

Can you expand on this? Deal with a 4 year old boy in what way?

well my thought was that (although we will train the kids as well as the dog to respect each other) my boy is a strong lad who likes a wrestle (with me) and I need a dog that can play along to a degree and wont be scared/get aggressive if he takes things a step too far, which no matter how much I educate him in the way of the dog, he will do at some point. I've read that certain types of dogs really dont mix well with kids. Make sense?

andrewpreston

We've had Boxers for years. Great with children, don't shed much but can be great bicycle chasers. If you keep your whits about you and get an off roader they can be trained to run alongside... Win,win.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've always gone for mongrels from dog rescue places, but it does mean you may not know quite what you've got, and what traits may be lurking in that gorgeous puppy - but we've never had one we've regretted.
If looking for cross breeds, I would probably go for a lab cross of some kind - they are dogs that will walk with you for miles, and come back to you, + often have a fetching instinct, which gives hours of fun chasing balls. I wouldn't be put off by staffy blood either, but I know strangers and non-doggy people can find them worrying. Collies look great, moult like mad, and may be over-protective and go for other dogs (and people's fingers!). One tip - if going for a hound type, with say greyhound or lurcher blood, you make get a lovely affectionate dog with an uncontrollable chasing instinct, that needs to be kept almost always on a lead (or that at least has been our experience).

Whatever it is, I'm sure you won't regret the decision.

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

Labs shed like buggery. Seen a few Dalmation/Collie crosses which have boundless energy but downside might be the Collie temprament. Saying that, I have a Lab, working type not the squatter show breed and he runs and mtn bikes with me.

hey - yeah I have read a lot of bad things about dalmatians and had bad experiences with collies so both of those are out - also I would rather get a smaller (not tiny but small medium) dog if possible, its pretty busy here already!

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
well my thought was that (although we will train the kids as well as the dog to respect each other) my boy is a strong lad who likes a wrestle (with me) and I need a dog that can play along to a degree and wont be scared/get aggressive if he takes things a step too far, which no matter how much I educate him in the way of the dog, he will do at some point. I've read that certain types of dogs really dont mix well with kids. Make sense?

Ah, then my advice is don't get a dog until your child can be trusted not to take things too far, sorry I know I am being really harsh but having been in rescue for many years I have seen too many dogs re-homed, having issues or children bitten caused by things going to far. "Wrestling" to a dog is looking for dominance, even as puppies they "wrestle" to practice becoming the dominant one, another reason why with certain breeds you don't play "tug of war" as this to them is a dominating game.

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

No, not unless you are richer than rich with the vet bills.

If it is for going with children, ensure it is from Pup, also go for a heinz 57 or cross as they tend to live longer than something with a high pedigree

Hey - yeah were going for a puppy rather than a rescue dog purely because of the kids. Yeah am seriously looking at a cross lab/staff for that reason

thanks

Top Bottom