Wife has agreed to let me have a dog! now trying to decide what breed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ah, just get any dog... you'll love it regardless, just don't waste a load of money buying a pedigree one, they don't last very long.

sackville d

Veteran
I'll see your ugly mutt and raise you................

ugliest-dog-in-the-world-05.jpg
cannot_be_unseen.jpg

CharlesF

Guru
If you are prepared to put in the effort in training; the best dog in the world is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Very faithful; a loving family member and tolerant of children, cats, etc., but not chickens or squirrels. They need training and will decide when to obey you, especially if you haven't established that you are leader of the pack. They only bark if there is something really out of the ordinary, in other words you know something is wrong when a RR barks.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeuNANUD4XGtC-Uwv_Qt1Oi9VS7cBXrlc3A_RDK_rMvlHmXvTLHg.jpg

booze and cake

probably out cycling
[quote="robjh, post: 2722589, member: 1824".............One tip - if going for a hound type, with say greyhound or lurcher blood, you make get a lovely affectionate dog with an uncontrollable chasing instinct, that needs to be kept almost always on a lead (or that at least has been our experience).

Lurchers and Whippets have great temperments, and are quiet, totally unlike terriers who have a tendancy to yap too much for my liking. They also don't shed much as shorthairs.

In relation to the chasing mentioned, they are indeed chase hounds but its all in the training. My mum has 4 lurchers and they were well trained and the most obedient dogs I've ever met, as happy to lounge around on the sofa being low maintenance as they are out and about. They have permission to hunt rabbits on the farmers land but when called and told not to they stop immediately. They are brilliant arounds kids and a cat (if the cat is there first and you get the dog as a puppy).

But my sister also has a lurcher thats a brother of 2 of my mums ones, but she is a bit of a hippy and did'nt give it any proper disipline, and she is forever having 'Fenton...Fenton' moments as it chases anything that moves. It never attacks as don't think it knows what to do but it scares the s**t out of whats its chasing, and if a farmer in the country see your dog chasing its sheep its likely to shoot first and ask questions later.

My word of warning around lurchers is they can be troublesome puppies, in terms of knawing and chewing things, not people just things, and this can last for 18 months so beware. My sisters one destroyed 2 sofas! My mums most recent one chewed and totally destroyed a shoe of mine and last summer when i visited sneaked up on the kitchen table and chewed a pair of my plastic framed cycle glasses. I was hunting around for ages looking for them the next morning and found a lens and a completely knarled arm behind the sofa, I'm amazed it didnt do itself an injury.

Good luck and let us know what you go for, I'm more of a cat person myself but dogs are still great fun and better companions.

Sara_H

Guru
I wanted a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel when we were deciding on a dog. Perfect temperament in a household with children, and portable. My ex husband refused, apparently people would think him gay if he were to be seen with such a dog.
We settled on a Labrador. Our gorgeous Chocador is devilishly handsome, gentle, loyal but completely and utterly stupid. He's been very difficult to train and he's got me into trouble on several occasions. Put him on a lead for a walk and he's very difficult to manage, which means my son can't have the joy of walking him as he would if we'd had a Cav.
Don't get me wrong, we all love the dog, and my son considers him a brother, but I wish he was smaller!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Labs and retrievers smell bl00dy horrible when you stroke them, and Staffs are just butt-ugly.
All breeds are the canine equivalent of what happens when 'Made in Chelsea' is taken to its logical extreme ( or Deliverance, at the other end of the social scale) so the only answer is get a mongrel.

Moult! It's Moult!

(And breathe)

.. and I thought they where making beer from the dogs!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Different breeds do have different traits but all dogs have different personalities. If you have one that continues to vie for dominance then that is when you do not play games that relate to dominance having training lessons for yourself and the dog is the best way forward if you are not familiar
I just get Mme Dominatrix round, with the whips and stocks. Me and Fido have a grrrrreat time!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If you are prepared to put in the effort in training; the best dog in the world is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Very faithful; a loving family member and tolerant of children, cats, etc., but not chickens or squirrels. They need training and will decide when to obey you, especially if you haven't established that you are leader of the pack. They only bark if there is something really out of the ordinary, in other words you know something is wrong when a RR barks.
It's hard to bark when your jaws're locked on something's throat.....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd second what other people have said about Labs - lovely dogs, only moult twice a year, for five-and-a-bit months each time...
And they only smell horrid when they've rolled in fox poo - which is quite often!
I'd go to a rescue place, and you'll find the right dog (or it'll find you) :wub:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Daughter's got a staffy who's fine with a 1 and a 3 year old around. My only problem when I'm looking after it is that she's never been well trained so I have to keep her on a lead. And she's now a bit too old for new tricks.

Top Bottom