Wife has agreed to let me have a dog! now trying to decide what breed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

Ah, then my advice is don't get a dog until your child can be trusted not to take things too far, sorry I know I am being really harsh but having been in rescue for many years I have seen too many dogs re-homed, having issues or children bitten caused by things going to far. "Wrestling" to a dog is looking for dominance, even as puppies they "wrestle" to practice becoming the dominant one, another reason why with certain breeds you don't play "tug of war" as this to them is a dominating game.

sorry think you miss understood, my boy wont be wrestling with the dog, only me, but he is bound to over step the mark at some point as all kids do, no matter what you say.

Which breeds shouldn't you play tug of war with? That's a great fact I knew nothing about, I thought all dogs loved a bit of tug of war

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

Perhaps something pretty like

mean-as-a-junkyard-dog.jpg

Andsome!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah, then my advice is don't get a dog until your child can be trusted not to take things too far, sorry I know I am being really harsh but having been in rescue for many years I have seen too many dogs re-homed, having issues or children bitten caused by things going to far. "Wrestling" to a dog is looking for dominance, even as puppies they "wrestle" to practice becoming the dominant one, another reason why with certain breeds you don't play "tug of war" as this to them is a dominating game.
My parents' neighbours had two really nice Rottweilers, and two uncontrolled kids. There was a commotion one day when one of the dogs finally failed to see the joke in being pulled backwards from its food by his ears by one of the children, snarled at him, and pushed the boy away. The boy freaked out, ran crying to his mother and an hour later, both dogs had been put down ...

My parents were really upset about it, especially since they had been pleading with the neighbours to stop their children teasing the dogs.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
sorry think you miss understood, my boy wont be wrestling with the dog, only me, but he is bound to over step the mark at some point as all kids do, no matter what you say.

Which breeds shouldn't you play tug of war with? That's a great fact I knew nothing about, I thought all dogs loved a bit of tug of war

They do love it but it is a dominating action with other dogs, if you are going to wrestle with your child, make sure the dog is no where near, seriously, locked out of the room. You & your children will become that dogs pack there is no formula for knowing which dog will or will not react to it, I have had to remove my own dog when people have picked up the children and they are squealing with delight as he has thought they are hurting them and because I know my dog I can see his distress, the pacing, the vocal noises, the circling if you know dogs you can read the signs.

Male dogs especially will vie for pack leadership and having them castrated may or may not solve some problems.

Different breeds do have different traits but all dogs have different personalities. If you have one that continues to vie for dominance then that is when you do not play games that relate to dominance having training lessons for yourself and the dog is the best way forward if you are not familiar, you need to be confident and assertive with any dog in order to ensure it is doing what you want it to do.

My Dad's always said big dogs are lovely..............................in someone else's house, but I would like a Weimaraner or a Lab one day.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier has had a bad press, but is still one of the best regarded dogs for children, and never forget, it's not the dog, it's the owner that makes the difference.

As a family growing up we always had terriers, so when Mrs Smoo and I decided to get a dog the choice was simple, and we got a Jack Russell.

I don't believe in all that pedigree gumpf, so he was a farm puppy, yes he's a cross, (JR's are not a KC registered breed anyway *sticks V's up at KC*). He's definitely got some Border Collie in him, and he's an absolutely fantastic dog.

If we hadn't had got lucky with finding Patch I'd have pushed Mrs Smoo to adopt, and it's something I'd always suggest every dog buyer seriously considers.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 24

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member

Venod

Eh up
We had a Beddlington not one of the poncy white ones with its coat trimmed all fancy, but a proper old fashioned one, doesn't malt ours was very good with kids and will walk/run for miles it caught rabbits & pigeons & rats without asking :eek: and you had to keep an eye on him around sheep but a lovely dog.

Our next door neighbor has a Welsh Terrier doesn't malt & is the most placid dog I have ever met, it looks like a miniture Airedale Terrier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom