Wigan Canapes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monnet

Guru
Eurggh Argentine pizza. I'd put that out of my mind! And all the extra grease they found - I thought they had Italian heritage!

I was in Belgrano - Arcos y La Pampa, a couple of blocks over from Cabildo.

got-to-get-fit

The Velvet Curtain said:
Yep, I saw the pier and everything. Whilst I was there a plane flew over and everyone pointed at it, I'm not sure what that means.

My brother in law lives in wigan......there are more culinary delights in wigan that you think.

People actually got to the chip shop and ask for ....wait for it ....."Peawat and chips"

Sounds disgusting in know.....and actually it is! Its basically a portion of chips with the water from the mushy peas poured over them, not the actual peas themselves you understand ...just the water, hence "Peawat"

Oh and on new years eve its tradition to have a sort of tatty hash/gruel type thingy when you come in from the pub.....its actually quite nice except its so heavy on your stomach that in my experience an hour after eating it and a skinfull of drink saw its miraculous re-appearance via the toilet bowl.

mondobongo

Über Member
Ate loads of Game whilst living in Kampala for 2 years the best of which was the night me and my mate had Zebra and Chips for our tea.

Growing up we used to have roasted Lambs Hearts on a regular basis for tea, I tell people this nowadays and they look at me gone out. Various Offal was part of the staple diet growing up in the seventies in Liverpool.

col

Legendary Member
My nana,who lived in sunderland, used to eat tripe, with pigs trotters and dry brown bread ,with vinigar,all on a plate at the same time.and it seemed everytime we visited,she was getting stuck into them,and the pigs toes always seemed to be waving at us as she picked away at it.;)

postman

Legendary Member
Black pudding as a Yorkshire man my black pudding is best fried.My wife being a Lanky lass from Goosnargh Nr Preston their pudding is boiled.Haggis is wonderful especially when whisky is added.

col

Legendary Member
iv never tried haggis?

postman

Legendary Member
Col it is gorgeous.Had it in a restaurant in Ballindallach if i have spelt it right.Took the first portion on as a dare .Had it every night that week.

OP
OP
T

TVC

It is my understanding that the wild haggis has left legs slightly longer than its right so it can run round the mountains clockwise, and the traditional way of catching them is to sneak up behind them and shout. This surprises the little beasts and they turn round in shock, so falling over and making them easy to scoop up in a butterfly net. - Or was my dad telling fibs?

I'm going up to Fort William this week so I will find out. Also looking forward to my first deep fried confectionary.

Top Bottom