Wiggins' comments on David Millar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
wiggo claims to have no opinion. then expresses one.

sports journo's quoting out of context.

sigh.

he really isn't the brightest bulb in the box is he?

gavintc

Guru
He is paid to cycle, not to handle the semantics of a difficult PR issue. Personally, I think it is a storm in a tea cup. The issue is a hot potato and I think it will be easy to catch out any of our top cyclists with a probing journalist's questions.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
He is paid to cycle, not to handle the semantics of a difficult PR issue. Personally, I think it is a storm in a tea cup. The issue is a hot potato and I think it will be easy to catch out any of our top cyclists with a probing journalist's questions.
I disagree. He is paid to attend press conferences, participate in interviews,etc., etc., and earns enough to employ a PR person to brief him even if his team don't.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
I should imagine DM is a tad p1ssed off especially as he has ridden his legs off in the past for Wiggins. Cav handled the DM and doping question quite well in his recent interview with Sky.

Bicycle

(Sound of colours being nailed to the mast) I think DM is an extraordinary rider and athlete and (now) a great professional.

I do not think he should ride in the Olympics. Likewise Ohuruogu, Chambers and any other reformed drug cheat.

There is history between BW and DM. DM feels his team were not sufficiently recognised by BW for 'carrying him to fourth in the TdF'.

DM also disliked the way BW hopped across to Sky. I believe that neither sends Christmas cards to the other or expects one.

For all that, I thought the BW piece was quite intelligent. He made the distinction between what would be good in terms of results and what was a moral issue. He also made the point that fretting over these things gets you nothing but an ulcer. I thought the point about 'only riding for myself now' was slightly arch, but funny nonetheless.

Many of the points he made resonated well with me. I am not a BW fan, but he is not a fool and he spoke well.

Not as well as he rides his bicycle, but by no means badly.

Alun

Guru
(Sound of colours being nailed to the mast) I think DM is an extraordinary rider and athlete and (now) a great professional.

I do not think he should ride in the Olympics. Likewise Ohuruogu, Chambers and any other reformed drug cheat.

There is history between BW and DM. DM feels his team were not sufficiently recognised by BW for 'carrying him to fourth in the TdF'.

DM also disliked the way BW hopped across to Sky. I believe that neither sends Christmas cards to the other or expects one.

For all that, I thought the BW piece was quite intelligent. He made the distinction between what would be good in terms of results and what was a moral issue. He also made the point that fretting over these things gets you nothing but an ulcer. I thought the point about 'only riding for myself now' was slightly arch, but funny nonetheless.

Many of the points he made resonated well with me. I am not a BW fan, but he is not a fool and he spoke well.

Not as well as he rides his bicycle, but by no means badly.
I respect your opinion, but the BOC should follow the agreement that they made with WADA, I think CAS will tell them the same.
An athlete should not be disadvantaged because they are British. If Millar had dual nationality and appeared at the Olympics for another country there would be plenty who would complain. Let's have a level playing field! If all Olympic committees banned drug cheats for life, I might have a different view.

Nearly there

Veteran
I think people deserve a second chance as we all make mistakes but i think the bbc are stirring it imo we all have work colleagues were not fond of but tolerate its just the way we are.

I would imagine that just like any other work place you aren't going to 100% happy with everyone you work with,they do ride full time after all.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I would imagine that just like any other work place you aren't going to 100% happy with everyone you work with,they do ride full time after all.
Millar's book paints it a little stronger than that. He accuses St Bradley of not working for the team and going awol at one point when work was to be done iirc.

Top Bottom