Wiggins kids bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yerteasoot

Does anyone have experience of Wiggins kids bikes? My 8 year old and 5 are in need of a new bike. At the moment they have basic bikes from decathlon which have been good for them but I feel now I want something a bit better for them, something lighter and with gears. I have looked at a few brands like Hoy, Isla and Frog and also the Wiggins bikes. For me the Isla and Hoy are out of my price range (I'm not bothered about resale as they will be handed down to other family kids) the frog ones are a bit better priced but the Wiggins ones are really good priced which is enticing me, my husband has a friend that works at Halfords and can get us a staff discount. Before I take the plunge I would prefer to hear what people's opinions on these bikes are before parting with my hard earned cash

S-Express

Not a lot of difference between any of them IME. Wiggins stuff has nice paint jobs, which is important when you're 5.

blxm

There's a couple of Wiggins bikes at my kids club. They are actually quite light but the geometry is a bit weird. Very long reach IMO. Sit your kids on one before deciding. For what it's worth one of my kids has a Frog and he looks more comfortable v the Wiggins riders.

I actually ride a Rouen 650 roadie (yep, I'm short). Will concur that the reach is a bit on the long side, but can easily be remedied with a straight seatpost.

It is a very nice bike to ride though, did a 40k on mine on Wednesday. Plus, despite everything, you don't see many of them about. Mine always gets admiring looks wherever I go.

Sharky

Guru
Wiggins bikes are delivered in an anonymous paper package.

Deliveries are on a Tueday

Sandra6

Veteran
The wiggins bikes have proved very popular and a couple of my "proper" cycling friends have bought them for their kids after snorting in derision at the suggestion of buying a bike from Halfords. So they must be good :okay:
As for your friend getting you discount, that's strictly against the rules and he could get sacked if he gets caught. Just saying.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
As for your friend getting you discount, that's strictly against the rules and he could get sacked if he gets caught. Just saying.

How would they know?

Anyway, if the OP didn't want to risk it, they could always join British Cycling and get 10% off that way.

Sandra6

Veteran
How would they know?

Anyway, if the OP didn't want to risk it, they could always join British Cycling and get 10% off that way.
If his mate doesn't have kids and is buying a child's bike it will be a bit obvious it isn't for him.
And if he's really foolish and the OP goes in to pick the bike up and hands over the cash while his mate pulls out his discount card, that's how they'll know.
Plus, his mate will know.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
If his mate doesn't have kids and is buying a child's bike it will be a bit obvious it isn't for him.
And if he's really foolish and the OP goes in to pick the bike up and hands over the cash while his mate pulls out his discount card, that's how they'll know.
Plus, his mate will know.

Why would he need to have kids? It could be a present for his "niece", or "nephew"?

Plus, obviously, the fella working at Halfords would pay for the bike himself, take it home, then have the OP collect it there and reimburse the fella?

Don't see what the issue is here TBH. Plus, in all honesty, I can't see Halfords being all that bothered so long as the fella's not making a habit of it.

Top Bottom