Wiggins knighted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That seems to be quite a rare opinion. Haven't heard that before.
Really? You obviously weren't following the related thread on here then that night ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can't say I blame Boyle though, perhaps he's embarrassed after the monstrosity* that was the Olympic opening ceremony?
*IMO

That was nothing more than a massive free worldwide advertising plug for the new clinics the NHS is planning to open in all major cities around the world, didn't you know?

RAYMOND

Whilst i'm pleased for our sporting heros to be recognised,i can't fathom why they get it so soon.
These days they get a gong in the same year as they win a race.
Personally i think they should get them after there careers are over like the guy who got one for code breaking in the second world war.

Whilst i'm pleased for our sporting heros to be recognised,i can't fathom why they get it so soon.
These days they get a gong in the same year as they win a race.
Personally i think they should get them after there careers are over like the guy who got one for code breaking in the second world war.

The guy who was key in the breaking of Enigma in WW2 (Alan Turing) went gongless.

He was prosecuted and convicted for homosexuality and died young in a probable suicide following a chemical castration.

I do agree that honours seem a little hasty these days, but I'm not sure we should treat our athletes as we treated Turing. This might disincentivise them going forward.

Or are you thinking of another of the code breakers at Bletchley Park who got a gong in later life?

RAYMOND

I'm talking about raymond jerry roberts who was honoured with a MBE in this years list.
He worked along side turing as did others.He also campaigned for turin to be recognised.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I dont think it is too early to give Wiggins a Knighthood. I mean he has had so many wins in his career, more than one olympic gold medal, several world championship and other event medals.

billy1561

BB wrecker
You mean publicly reject it? I always find that strange, if you don't want it reject it privately, don't go to the press and make a big thing of it. Same with Ken Livingstone.

I've no idea what Bradleys thoughts are on the honours system but if he wasn't inclined to take it seriously and found it amusing as he has said then he is entitled to decline or keep quiet and enjoy the trappings of being a knight.
My personal thoughts are he has earned it far more than some recipients i could name who have received one by privilege. Although , the system in general is not balanced imo.

I've no idea what Bradleys thoughts are on the honours system but if he wasn't inclined to take it seriously and found it amusing as he has said then he is entitled to decline or keep quiet and enjoy the trappings of being a knight.
My personal thoughts are he has earned it far more than some recipients i could name who have received one by privilege. Although , the system in general is not balanced imo.

It's not a system of merit though it's still an honour handed out, essentially, by one person.

Top Bottom