Wiggins' physique

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
Armstrong went down to 3%. The average climber has about 4%.

I saw Armstrong at close quarters at the end of the 2004 tour. There was nothing between his muscles and his skin. He looked taut even by comparison with his team-mates
Wiggins could lose even more weight if shaved off those ridiculous sideburns

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not just his weight... think about his wind resistance. I saw some shots of him from behind on his TT bike and the first thing I noticed was how thin the blade seatpost looks between his legs, then it occurred to me that his body's wind resistance must be dramatically lower then a cyclist with broader shoulders and thicker limbs.

At the same time, I have noticed his bulky ribcage, which would suggest good lung capacity.

Last weekend my son aged 13 rode 25 miles wearing a proper cycling jersey and shorts for the first time, rather than jeans and a big baggy jacket. As soon as we set off he shouted "this bike feels faster!" but my belief is that with his skinny body and limbs he was just feeling the benefit of his close-fitting clothes. Just cruising along we averaged 14 mph on a flat course, which ain't too shabby for a 13 y.o.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's not just his weight... think about his wind resistance. I saw some shots of him from behind on his TT bike and the first thing I noticed was how thin the blade seatpost looks between his legs, then it occurred to me that his body's wind resistance must be dramatically lower then a cyclist with broader shoulders and thicker limbs.

The commentators were discussing this during the TT the other day - apparently there is a detectable advantage. This is only enhanced by his pursuit-honed ability to keep upper body rock steady.

aJohnson

I'm pretty much the same height/weight as wiggins. Just need his power and I'm good to go!

I'm lighter, but I have no power whatsoever.

He is a mod though. No self-respecting mod would shave their sideburns even to win the TDF.

mods never had sideburns - that's more of a 70s 'glam' thing, think Noddy Holder. The whole point of the mod movement was to be neat, sharp and clean-cut - sideburns would probably have been last on the list of things a mod would want. Anyway, he's 32 for heaven's sake - most people grow out of making pointless fashion statements by their late teens.

Don't anyone dare tell me it "it's stylish" - there is a difference between style, and looking like a d1ck.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
small_faces_wallpaper_2.png

:whistle:

Your gonna love his saddle to.......

bradley-saddle-tour-presentation-1-getty_2473106.jpg

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Don't anyone dare tell me it "it's stylish" - there is a difference between style, and looking like a d1ck.

Thanks for that. I'm sure Wiggins will pay close attention and change his ways. :rolleyes:

Honestly, why do some people spend so much time worrying about the most minor deviations from the norm, in a sport where there's so little individuality in the first place? Pro-cycling needs characters and Wiggins is certainly one of them.

He won't change - and I wouldn't expect him to on the strength of my opinion alone. Doesn't stop me having it though....and it doesn't keep me awake at night either...

Pro-cycling needs characters and Wiggins is certainly one of them.

Not sure about that, tbh. Theunisse was a character, as was Lemond, Millar, Hinault, Fignon, Pantani, Cipollini, Abdou, and others. Wiggins doesn't really fit that profile from my point of view...

raindog

er.....
Theunisse was a character, as was Lemond, Millar, Hinault, Fignon, Pantani, Cipollini, Abdou, and others. Wiggins doesn't really fit that profile from my point of view...
Fitting a profile would mean he wasn't a "character" surely?
I'd say Brad, Sagan and Cav have got more character than the rest of the pro peloton put together.

Top Bottom