Wiggins to Sky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garrilla

Not surprised at Wiggins, but maybe at Berti.

Good news for Sky though, however much I wish it was a different sponsor.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
He was a bit overly sure he wasn't going to go to sky in interviews at the TDF... like most sportsmen/women thats usually a sure fire sign they are going!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Seems like a win/win for both Wiggins and Contador, who gets out of Astana into a - how shall we say - 'cleaner' team ... and Sky pay for it ! Just hope ITV4 keep the coverage though ...

Should be interesting, Wiggins and Boasson-Hagen in the same team. Promising.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
scoosh said:
Seems like a win/win for both Wiggins and Contador, who gets out of Astana into a - how shall we say - 'cleaner' team ... and Sky pay for it ! Just hope ITV4 keep the coverage though ...

Should be interesting, Wiggins and Boasson-Hagen in the same team. Promising.

Bertie needs a get-out-of-contract excuse still, although that'll probably be a formality given Astana's shenanigans.
It'll be interesting to see how AC goes if he has to race clean:evil:

This from Cyclingnews casts some doubt

Garmin-Slipstream boss Jonathan Vaughters has categorically stated that there is no such arrangement, however. "Bradley Wiggins is under contract for 2010... that's the end of it," Vaughters told Cyclingnews.

The report further speculates that Garmin-Slipstream would then be able to complete the signing of double Tour de France champion Alberto Contador.

However, both Contador and the management of Team Astana have made it clear he has one year remaining on his contract with the Kazakh squad that the Spaniard intends to honour, making the move virtually impossible for Vaughters to complete, even if he wanted to.

jpembroke

I'm now waiting for Sky to announce their exclusive rights to Tour coverage. It's gonna happen.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
jpembroke said:
I'm now waiting for Sky to announce their exclusive rights to Tour coverage. It's gonna happen.

It better not... As that would be another death knell to British cycling, it's just getting popular again after the public were turned off it in the late 90's due to the mass drug scandals.

Next thing will be the Tour Of Britain.

Will1985

Über Member
Stories on roadcc and cyclingweekly so may be true. What was it that Vaughters said, that he would have to be insane to let Wiggo go? I hear the sound of men in white coats approaching...

Will1985

Über Member
jpembroke said:
Hard luck - Eurosport holds the cable and satellite rights until 2013, so you'll have to wait until 2014 for that to happen (ITV4 holds FTA rights to the same date).

Eurosport contract end dates:
ASO: end of 2013
RCS: end of 2012
Unipublic: end of 2011

Eurosport also has the rights to UCI events such as the world champs and track cycling but not sure when that contract ends.
I'm pretty sure that all Sky have had this year was the Tour Down Under.

It is a bit of a bizarre sponsorship deal when they can't actually show anything their sponsored team does. I don't see people are so desperate for it to change...they'll still get the same commentators in.

Losidan

what do you reckon to boassan hagen helping wiggo for the top spot in the tour with a view to him becoming the top man a couple of years down the line?

Top Bottom