Wiggle and Chain Reaction gone into administration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
In case anyone was wondering, they are still trading and providing good service. I ordered a dhb waterproof for commuting and a dhb winter jacket from their sale on Tuesday, delivered today.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In case anyone was wondering, they are still trading and providing good service. I ordered a dhb waterproof for commuting and a dhb winter jacket from their sale on Tuesday, delivered today.

they are officially up for sale now entering the bidding process from interested parties , my guess is if its in stock your safe to order

I bought Deore 10 speed 11-46T cassettes the other day for £9.99. I think they said the recommended retail price was £54.99 or maybe £59.99 but what you receive is the OEM version as supplied to bike manufacturers and bike assemblers not the retail packaging which has that RRP. I'm not complaining of course I was very happy with the price but it wasn't quite what they stated. Chain Reaction/Wiggle buy a lot of bikes from the far east and maybe they buy these cassettes over there so not official UK stock. At £9.99 was it sold at a loss or perhaps a small profit based on a better value logistics model.

Another item the Nexus 3 speed hub they are selling for £21.99. They claim a retail price of over £100 but I think that retail price is a complete pack for retail packaging which includes other parts but they supply OEM bare drive mechanism only that needs extra accessories to work for a fresh install, its more of a replacement part fora faulty Nexus. Still great value but they compare against retail pricing despite being a OEM product. It wouldn't surprise me at all if such Nexus hubs are only $10-15 when supplied OEM to factories in the far east.

nexus bundle.jpg

Looking at current pricing the prices definitely seem to have gone north. The Lifeline ANT USB stick they were doing for £1.99 is now £14.99 and items I bought on a previous order are now 50% more approx. Tyres I bought on my last order for £4.99 are now £7.99. However maybe this is just an increase so they can decrease again in the January sales.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
https://road.cc/content/news/wigglecrc-owes-haribo-ps20000-305947

Not seen this mentioned elsewhere on the forum yet, but that is a lot of Haribo!!! I never quite understood the free Haribo thing as a marketing tool. We're not children and they are not cycling related. Personally I used to throw them straight in the bin if I ever received any. A waste and more plastic into landfill. I would have preferred a tick box for 'No free Haribo please' when placing an order.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Not seen this mentioned elsewhere on the forum yet, but that is a lot of Haribo!!! I never quite understood the free Haribo thing as a marketing tool. We're not children and they are not cycling related. Personally I used to throw them straight in the bin if I ever received any. A waste and more plastic into landfill. I would have preferred a tick box for 'No free Haribo please' when placing an order.

Humph, they never sent me any Harribo ! :cry:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Looking at current pricing the prices definitely seem to have gone north. The Lifeline ANT USB stick they were doing for £1.99 is now £14.99 and items I bought on a previous order are now 50% more approx. Tyres I bought on my last order for £4.99 are now £7.99. However maybe this is just an increase so they can decrease again in the January sales.

I suspect more likely they've slashed prices as far as they think they need to go to generate enough cashflow to pay off the most pressing debts.

Now the wolf has been kept from the door and they're no longer so desperate for immediate liquidity prices go back up to maintain margins.

When this first kicked off there was a lot of really silly-cheap stuff on there (mostly if you were prepared to take something a bit less popular - extremes of clothing sizes, stuff with bad reviews, odd colours etc). Now, not so much as it seems they've moved a lot of stock and have less of an incentive to fill the coffers ASAP.

I fancied a couple of merino base layers at circa half-price (the unfashionable brown I liked went down to less than 1/3rd RRP IIRC) however now they're all back to where they were. I suspect the immediate panic's now over and the administrators will seek to keep the business ticking over / bolster the margins a bit to make it look more profitable to potential buyers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Some time ago another bike bits supplier included a small bag of sweeties one of my orders. Unfortunately I can't remember who it was, but I distinctly remember thinking "hmm, Wiggle's idea is spreading".

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I used to throw them at my partner's son, he seemed reasonably grateful.

Top Bottom