Wiggle at it again! :cursing:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Debit card transaction unfortunately. Can that be charged back in the same way?
There is a Visa scheme
https://www.visa.co.uk/chargeback.html
You need to contact your bank

https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/area-of-expertise/cards/chargeback-and-section-75

Veloscot

Über Member

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I do have Visa debit card and didn't know I could do that. 👍

To be fair, Wiggle did refund me the postage fees immediately, but I'm still £50+ short on the goods I haven't yet received and feel like Wiggle and Hermes are holding me to ransom!
Let the bank sort it. They’ll recall the funds and refund you. Wiggle then have 45 days (well that’s the case with section 75) to either send you the item or just lose the money off their balance sheet.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Firstly I'd like to state that I'm a hypocrite having used Wiggle (and CRC) a few times in the past on account of their competitive pricing and have never personally had any issues with their service.

That said they're a big company that IIRC is owned by some dirty vulture capitalist investment concern and are clearly seeking to monopolise the market; so it's hardly a surprise when they're caught using devious / manipulative tactics to exploit their customers...

If anyone needs any more ammo there's also the whole shameful situation with Chain Reaction - once Wiggle's main rival, then bought out by them on the promise that there would be no job losses, now quelle surprise they're now apparently planning to chop CRC's Irish distribution centre and axe all the associated jobs :rolleyes:

I do my best to boycott them but unfortunately a lot of the time they win on the Amazon model; in that they can often supply everything from one source I'd have to shop around for from various other sources; often cheaper too.

That chain is certainly a p*ss-take - it might be worth emailing them and asking them to justify this - often the flip-side to this wanton exploitation of those who allow it is to bend over backwards to appease those who raise an issue.

FWIW I've had a lot of luck on ebay recently with bike parts - just bought two X11 chains (same variant / colour as the subject of this thread but 11sp) for £18ea posted when the cheapest I could find them on other sites was £20ea plus post (and certainly not the £29+ Wiggle are asking :blink:).

Makes you wonder if it's a supply issue raising it's head or just price gouging... either way I'm good for chains for the next few thousand miles :biggrin:

I also found similar with appropriate KMC master links (£3.99 for two), as well as Shimano brake discs and a rear cassette.. Usual story that it pays to shop around I guess but it's a bit unusual IMO for the big retailers to be so comprensively out-priced by smaller concerns on ebay.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Firstly I'd like to state that I'm a hypocrite having used Wiggle (and CRC) a few times in the past on account of their competitive pricing and have never personally had any issues with their service.

That said they're a big company that IIRC is owned by some dirty vulture capitalist investment concern and are clearly seeking to monopolise the market; so it's hardly a surprise when they're caught using devious / manipulative tactics to exploit their customers...

If anyone needs any more ammo there's also the whole shameful situation with Chain Reaction - once Wiggle's main rival, then bought out by them on the promise that there would be no job losses, now quelle surprise they're now apparently planning to chop CRC's Irish distribution centre and axe all the associated jobs :rolleyes:

I do my best to boycott them but unfortunately a lot of the time they win on the Amazon model; in that they can often supply everything from one source I'd have to shop around for from various other sources; often cheaper too.

That chain is certainly a p*ss-take - it might be worth emailing them and asking them to justify this - often the flip-side to this wanton exploitation of those who allow it is to bend over backwards to appease those who raise an issue.

FWIW I've had a lot of luck on ebay recently with bike parts - just bought two X11 chains (same variant / colour as the subject of this thread but 11sp) for £18ea posted when the cheapest I could find them on other sites was £20ea plus post (and certainly not the £29+ Wiggle are asking :blink:).

Makes you wonder if it's a supply issue raising it's head or just price gouging... either way I'm good for chains for the next few thousand miles :biggrin:

I also found similar with appropriate KMC master links (£3.99 for two), as well as Shimano brake discs and a rear cassette.. Usual story that it pays to shop around I guess but it's a bit unusual IMO for the big retailers to be so comprensively out-priced by smaller concerns on ebay.
I’ve bought a fair bit on ebay from Highonbikes. Often quite reasonable. Merlin have so far been good too. Sadly when firms get as big as Wiggle I’m not sure their business ethics remain as good as they once were.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I’ve bought a fair bit on ebay from Highonbikes. Often quite reasonable. Merlin have so far been good too. Sadly when firms get as big as Wiggle I’m not sure their business ethics remain as good as they once were.
Not tried Highonbikes but they look pretty decent. Really wanted to like Merlin given their small-family-business personal, although unfortunately haven't had positive experiences on the few occasions I've dealt with them in the past :sad:

chris-suffolk

Not had many issues (touch wood). Ordered a pair of tyres a while back, and they sent me 10 instead (a whole box). Being honest I said they could collect them, but had to be after 17:30 due to me working. After a couple of attempts at 14:00 and 15:30 when I wasn't in, they gave up and told me to keep them. Sold a few, kept the rest as spares - thanks Wiggle.

Maybe they couldn't get cheapie stuff from Europe and then had to get them from UK distributors and then blame the couriers and put the price up :whistle::whistle:.

On a serious note a lot of bike parts are still either short in supply or have long lead times from the far east so this may go on for a while yet.

Venod

Eh up
I have never had a problem with Wiggle other than they are not the cheapest,I always chose CRC as they were quick and prices good, but now there the same as Wiggle, I have just made my first purchase from their Ebay outlet, that sells returns and and slightly damaged goods etc, I won with a lst minute bid on some Mudguards, I cut it fine 3 secs before it ended, its good when a plan comes together, for those who don't know the Ebay shop its here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/tri-sport_resort

coldash

Veteran
I’ve used Merlin, Highonbikes and Wiggle quite a bit recently. Merlin prices have been generally OK but high on some things. Their 48 hour delivery has always been met. Highonbikes (both direct and on eBay) have been competitive and they sometimes have more obsecure stuff that the others don’t. Their delivery can be a bit tardy. Wiggle has been fine for me and surprisingly the “free” delivery option has worked really well e.g. stuff ordered on Friday night was delivered on Sunday by Hermes - yes, I was surprised - but I had a similar quick deliver, again by Hermes, last week.

My main problem has been low / no stock on stuff like handlebar tape, gear cables and BBs for the bike builds I’m doing

All IME, of course.

There have been a few stories about poor service over the summer, here's mine.

Ordered some bits on 3rd
View attachment 552505

Really need the brake adapter, chain is just for stock and to get the free delivery. After apparently being with the courier (Hermes :rolleyes:) since 6th, today they cancel and refund the order, citing 'delivery issues'

'Your order, XXXXXXXX has been received back at our warehouse due to a failed delivery. We are currently investigating the cause of this to understand why the delivery failed. This could have been caused due to issues within the courier network or issues with the address details provided. We have processed a full refund back to your original payment method which will take 3-5 days to clear, depending on your bank’s processing speed. We would appreciate it if you could re-order at your earliest convenience, ensuring that all delivery details are correct. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.'

Lying barstewards! Address details are perfect, their original email confirms it. They never sent the order because either they underpriced the chain or they can't get it?

Mysteriously both items are back in my shopping basket ready for me to re-order at my earliest convenience, except the chain is now £35 :eek:. I don't think so....

View attachment 552507

I will think long and hard before I order from Wiggle again.
I blame Hermes my self. I've been in and saw them come and go without knocking :-/

Top Bottom