Wiggle.co.uk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I have to say (although I don't want to for some reason) that Evans online has some good discounts on certain products, frequently have 10% off vouchers and appear to dispatch is super quick time these days - usually within 6 hours of placing the order.
CRC, Parker, Ribble, Merlin, Bikesyoulike, Highonbikes, absolutecycles, cyclesportsuk all have good offers from time to time - takes less than 10 minutes to check all of these for a given product.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I do in fact buy a lot of stuff from Evans (including my road bike that they price matched to almost half price), because my wife works near an Evans branch so it should be easy to return stuff, especially clothing that doesn't fit. I say "should be" because the last couple of times she's been in there to return something there's been much sucking of teeth and muttering from the staff (plus she said the place stank of stale sweat!) so she's unlikely to want to go in there again.

To be honest, the free delivery on everything from Evans, Wiggle and CRC make life so much easier, and Wiggle and CRC both offer free returns through Collect+. I looked at Ribble and can't be arsed with their "this is the price if you spend more than £30" approach, and postage charges with some of the others soon swallow up savings on a small order.

Collect+ isn't free with Wiggle - it's £2.49

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
The problem with buying from Germany is the cost of retuning an item can get silly - especially if it's more than 1kg in weight. Even if it's a warranty claim, the customer will still need to pay return shipping costs.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I have to say (although I don't want to for some reason) that Evans online has some good discounts on certain products, frequently have 10% off vouchers and appear to dispatch is super quick time these days - usually within 6 hours of placing the order.
CRC, Parker, Ribble, Merlin, Bikesyoulike, Highonbikes, absolutecycles, cyclesportsuk all have good offers from time to time - takes less than 10 minutes to check all of these for a given product.

It really pays to spend a few minutes as you say, with pen and paper to jot the prices down. Not many of us could really say we are loyal to a particular shop........we all want the bargain don't we

yello

The problem with buying from Germany is the cost of retuning an item can get silly - especially if it's more than 1kg in weight. Even if it's a warranty claim, the customer will still need to pay return shipping costs.

Noted... but not a major consideration for me in France as I have exactly the same issue returning items to the UK! It cost me a tidy sum to send some wrong size winter boots back to CRC.

Nebulous

Guru
I tend to stick to a small number of online shops in the rest of my life - Amazon being a favourite.

On starting cycling though I've been amazed at the price variations. I cannot believe the number of shops I've been through already. The savings are often substantial as well. A rear tiagra mech from Rose for less than £10, where the cheapest UK one was about £27. A freewheel from Parkers for £8 when the nearest other one I could find was £15.

I often drift to my LBS though (Edinburgh Bike) Not the cheapest, apart from some of their own brand stuff, but consistently good service and I can pick it up and fit it now- rather than wait for delivery.

Peteaud

Veteran
I dont normally order anything online, because of the hassle in the delivery. Like some, i will not use shittylink if possible.

Did use JE James in the last week and all went ok, even the couriers managed to arrive on time, so at the moment JE get my vote.

I prefere to shop locally, i am lucky that i have 4 good large bike shops withing 30-40 min drive, 2 of which are on the way to the forest, and the other 2 are in local towns. I just wait until i am in town and popin. the LBS in town is used for small / emergency stuff.

Camrider

I've orders a couple of things from them recently, the prices were fine, and the CityLink driver actually read my note on where to leave the stuff if I was out.

I also like Bike24 and StarBikes in Germany especially for German made kit which can be 40% cheaper than all UK sources.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I've used Wiggle quite a bit and I've sent stuff back and had refunds no problem. It's a useful site to read reviews to get the heads up on stuff then I google the item to find the cheapest store. I suppose on-line cycle shops are like supermarkets - some stuff is cheap, some dear and vice versa to get you interested and spending.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I've just restocked my bike shed through Wiggle, only one hiccup so far, & was rectified straight away.
Almost all my bikes & clothing has been sale items, at up to 50% off; plus I get 12% customer discount.
Not had any problems with the local City Link Depots, or Royal Mail.
Have ordered some very cheap (2008) shorts, & 'Energy Drinks' from CRC as they are cheaper; but as yet, have not been notified of despatch.

So, basically, when the weather cheers up, I'm off out riding my bikes & don't anticipate buying anything else for some time.

Nearly there

Veteran
Wiggle still seem to be stocking a lot of 2011 bikes does this mean theres still a lot of new models to come through or Is that it?Evans have loads more choice of new models

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Wiggle is selling old stock (2011), if you don't have to have this year's model, go take a look.
They are getting their 2012 stock in now. I like the look of the Felt road bikes, & would buy, but as I have just restocked my bike shed, I can't justify it.

Some have big discounts.:smile:

Top Bottom