Wales : Clwyd Wiggle Etape Cymru

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Idoru

Anyone else doing this?

I'm horribly under-prepared for it an anticipate a lot of pain if I can even manage to avoid the broom wagon.

Bought some nice new bibs and a jersey from Howies (at least I can try and look the part!) , they have a seriously strange idea of L/XL sizing, I look like a badly stuffed sausage.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Having completed the medio fondo dragon ride this year, I can empathise with your anxiety.

How many feet of climbing is there ?
Closed roads - NICE!!!

Andy Roadie

Hi. I live on the route and there's certainly a lot of climbs. Can't seem to find the exact elavation total but I believe it's around 2500 metres total climbing. The 14 mph average requirement is tough but if you don't keep to it you can still continue but without the guarantee of closed roads.

OP
OP
Idoru

Idoru

Thanks, I think I'm going to need it. :cheers:

Picked up my race pack today, 7:27am start for me, still haven't figured out a good route to get there to avoid the early road closures. Really nice start / end location though.

Bike is clean, dismantled and in the car ready for the morning, tyres are pumped, 510 is charging, 310xt charged and on standby (I love my crappy stats), new clobber is washed and ready to wear, choice of eyewear is yet to be made (has to match my mood!). Hand pump attached to the bike instead of having it in my jersey for a change (bet the bloody thing falls off).

Race numbers yet to be added to everything.

Wedge pack ready, 2 tubes (is that overkill?), tyre levers, some emergency patches and a multi-tool. Track pump in the car

Some gels and energy bars rady for the jersey, though if I follow the rule of 1gm of carbs per 1kg of body weight per hour I'm going to need a bloody trailer for my food. Water bottles full.
[edit] Just been to the cupboard to pick up the nutty bars I used for fuel, wifey has bought low calories ones... as I'm on a diet... doh! should've checked![edit]

They're saying a 13mph average to beat the broom wagon, but the road opening times are much later than that average suggests.

I'm kind of excited / terrified.

Hope I make it to the end :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idoru

Idoru

Anybody want to buy a torture device / bike

The organisation was great (apart from announcing the waves was a bit quiet). The feed stations were great. The course was evil. How they designed a course with 84 miles of climbing and 1 mile of descent.

I hurt and I'm off to the bath and bed.

Andy Roadie

Kudos for completing the course. Will you share your time. And yes the 85 miles doesn't sound much does it but the climbs are brutal. (The Strava record for the Horseshoe is 14m16s.) 16.5 mph average going up!!!

OP
OP
Idoru

Idoru

I think someone said Geraint Thomas has the best time for horseshoe, i think the best time yesterday was 15+ mins.

My completion time is 8hrs 10min + change, not that impressive I'll grant you but I did complete it, so I'm happy with that.

Full report:
4am alarm, out of the house by 5:15am get stuck at the closed road about 6:15ish, bit of a discussion how I (and about 30 cars behind me) are supposed to get there with the road closed. They let us through after about 10 mins as the queue grew. Parked up and started the process of putting the bike back together, bloke next to me says "first time?" .. "yep, terrified of the horseshoe pass"... "don't be it's probably one of the easier sections of the course". At which point I thought he was trying to take the piddle and concentrated on getting the bike ready.

The main area had sports massage, somewhere to get tea and coffee, buy some gels / bar and the wiggle shop was open for last minute essentials with a mechanic on hand for any quick repairs needed.

20 minute or so delay to the start and some confusion as the lady announcing the range of numbers to go next didn't seem to have a working mic. Quick safety briefing from the starter and my wave is off.

Horseshoe pass at 12.5 miles in, with a KOM competition for a Festina watch.

Then followed 73 miles of the most beautiful scenery, including something called "The Worlds End" which seemed well named, of which I saw almost nothing as I was concentrating on the 3 feet in front of my front wheel and wondering when it might flatten out a little, preferably a lot.

First feed station was at 30 miles I think, was well stocked, loos, mechanic, snacks, gels, bars, water, energy / electrolyte drinks etc. I stopped there for a piddle and a water top up. Tried to eat some more of my fuel bars & gels but they turned my stomach and I found I couldn't face anything sweet so grabbed some pretzels & refreshed the water bottles and carried on. All 4 feed stops were well stocked, well manned and full of happy volunteers.

Course was well marshaled and signposted, with motorbike outriders going past every 15 minutes or so offering mechanical or physical help, saw a few accidents, including a clipless moment at a feed station, lots of punctures being tended to.

The locals were friendly, though I'd have happily throttled the old bloke who said "30 down, just 55 more to go" with a huge grin on his face, and the guy at 70 miles who said "it's all downhill from here mate"... lying sod!

The road surface wasn't great, but it was rural wales so I knew what to expect, some of the worst pot holes had been repaired, unfortunately there was a lot of resulting loose gravel hanging around which got tricky on corners and descents, saw a few people who had obviously slid out on bends into hedges etc.

I will admit I had to walk a couple of the steeper sections after 50+ miles, a combination of my fat body, the lack of fuel (still couldn't face anything sweet). I also stopped for a couple of drink stops as the downhills were to fast to drink on and the uphills needed my whole body to get up :laugh: and basically there was only ever up or down, almost no flat.

I finished the course saying you couldn't pay me to do it again, and found myself walking into town for lunch thinking "a couple of stone off and a bike better geared for the hills next year" so who knows.

I saw a lot of thin people, a few less thin, I saw a lot of nice bikes, I saw some odd bikes (one like a mountain bike with smaller thin wheels), and a tandem!

Got a medal, got a goody bag.

If anyone is interested in the route please ignore all the stats bumf that comes with it unless you want to coach me to better performances ^_^

subaqua

What’s the point
well done. only advice i have is " don't buy upgrades, ride up grades :smile: . grew up not far from llandegla so spent most of my youth in and around snowdonia and the clwydians/berwyns.

worlds end is indeed great when you get chance to look at it, and i recall many a happy sunday riding up the horseshoe pass to whizz down again and then do it all over. 8 times is the most i did it in one day thats 8 down and 8 up

OP
OP
Idoru

Idoru

I have to agree with the bloke from the car park, the horseshoe pass was one of the easier sections, possibly because I was reasonably fresh

OP
OP
Idoru

Idoru

I did get gradually more and more upset over the number of gel packets and energy bar wrappers that were littering the course.

It's not the bloody tour, take your litter with you until you find a bin!

Angus444

I think someone said Geraint Thomas has the best time for horseshoe, i think the best time yesterday was 15+ mins.

My completion time is 8hrs 10min + change, not that impressive I'll grant you but I did complete it, so I'm happy with that.

Full report:
4am alarm, out of the house by 5:15am get stuck at the closed road about 6:15ish, bit of a discussion how I (and about 30 cars behind me) are supposed to get there with the road closed. They let us through after about 10 mins as the queue grew. Parked up and started the process of putting the bike back together, bloke next to me says "first time?" .. "yep, terrified of the horseshoe pass"... "don't be it's probably one of the easier sections of the course". At which point I thought he was trying to take the piddle and concentrated on getting the bike ready.

The main area had sports massage, somewhere to get tea and coffee, buy some gels / bar and the wiggle shop was open for last minute essentials with a mechanic on hand for any quick repairs needed.

20 minute or so delay to the start and some confusion as the lady announcing the range of numbers to go next didn't seem to have a working mic. Quick safety briefing from the starter and my wave is off.

Horseshoe pass at 12.5 miles in, with a KOM competition for a Festina watch.

Then followed 73 miles of the most beautiful scenery, including something called "The Worlds End" which seemed well named, of which I saw almost nothing as I was concentrating on the 3 feet in front of my front wheel and wondering when it might flatten out a little, preferably a lot.

First feed station was at 30 miles I think, was well stocked, loos, mechanic, snacks, gels, bars, water, energy / electrolyte drinks etc. I stopped there for a piddle and a water top up. Tried to eat some more of my fuel bars & gels but they turned my stomach and I found I couldn't face anything sweet so grabbed some pretzels & refreshed the water bottles and carried on. All 4 feed stops were well stocked, well manned and full of happy volunteers.

Course was well marshaled and signposted, with motorbike outriders going past every 15 minutes or so offering mechanical or physical help, saw a few accidents, including a clipless moment at a feed station, lots of punctures being tended to.

The locals were friendly, though I'd have happily throttled the old bloke who said "30 down, just 55 more to go" with a huge grin on his face, and the guy at 70 miles who said "it's all downhill from here mate"... lying sod!

The road surface wasn't great, but it was rural wales so I knew what to expect, some of the worst pot holes had been repaired, unfortunately there was a lot of resulting loose gravel hanging around which got tricky on corners and descents, saw a few people who had obviously slid out on bends into hedges etc.

I will admit I had to walk a couple of the steeper sections after 50+ miles, a combination of my fat body, the lack of fuel (still couldn't face anything sweet). I also stopped for a couple of drink stops as the downhills were to fast to drink on and the uphills needed my whole body to get up :laugh: and basically there was only ever up or down, almost no flat.

I finished the course saying you couldn't pay me to do it again, and found myself walking into town for lunch thinking "a couple of stone off and a bike better geared for the hills next year" so who knows.

I saw a lot of thin people, a few less thin, I saw a lot of nice bikes, I saw some odd bikes (one like a mountain bike with smaller thin wheels), and a tandem!

Got a medal, got a goody bag.

If anyone is interested in the route please ignore all the stats bumf that comes with it unless you want to coach me to better performances ^_^
Well done mate, chapeau!!
Fully intend to get down to Wales to do this one, some year...maybe 2015!

huwsparky

Über Member
I did get gradually more and more upset over the number of gel packets and energy bar wrappers that were littering the course.

It's not the bloody tour, take your litter with you until you find a bin!

Don't they have green zones anyway where they dump all their rubbish?

Dumping rubbish is just plain lazy.

Top Bottom