Wiggle High 5 to probably fold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This appears to be a bit of a blow to the women's world tour as Wiggle is a major team with a proper rider set up and salaries.

The team is run by Rochelle Gilmore who built it from nothing but it looks like the pressure of running it has got to the stage where she needs to step away. It's not clear yet if anyone else may take the team on but I really hope someone will. THe video explanation is well worth watching.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
That's very bad news indeed. :angry:

You can understand why she wants a break though.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I know that teams come and go all the time and that running a team is a full on commitment, but this video is just 'me, me, me' even talking about herself in the third person. My immediate thought is for the staff and riders left without a job whilst she spends money on an expensively produced video. I hope that in the background she looked to transition herself out of the role and for the team to continue and has not just cut and run.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I know that teams come and go all the time and that running a team is a full on commitment, but this video is just 'me, me, me' even talking about herself in the third person. My immediate thought is for the staff and riders left without a job whilst she spends money on an expensively produced video. I hope that in the background she looked to transition herself out of the role and for the team to continue and has not just cut and run.
Slightly harsh, Milkfloat. For sure, she has a certain style and way of expressing herself and it's easy to see that as quite self-centred, certainly her twitter account isn't always easy following but you don't get to build a multi-million dollar cycling team on superficiality. The chances are that Wiggle may have been about to pull the plug and this is as good a time as any to wind it up. An awful lot of teams exist because of one person who sets them up and gets the sponsors, we see this in mens teams all the time, BMC, Quick Step etc... Rochelle Gilmore has been fairly instrumental in changing women's cycling for the better.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It may be harsh, but I don't think totally unfair. She has a duty of care to the team and the way she has put her video message across seem crass and uncaring to me. A few lines about a hard decision and what efforts she has made to find someone to take the team on or at least find positions for staff members would have made a huge difference. My only hope is that Trek, Sky or even British Cycling jump in and take over the remnants.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I think the message is very managed, typical of her style. I'm not sure we can infer too much from it. The CN article hints that top riders were set to leave and that organisation had become an issue. I'm sure everyone would have known about this well in advance and unfortunately, the nature of the sport means that teams are often transient and contracts are normally very short, probably just to the end of this season.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
They promised last year that they were looking into it - but I guess the Sky divorce may have burnt them.
The future of Team Sky isn't especially secure, at least in its present form. With the continuing bidding war between 21st Century Fox and Comcast, it's not clear exactly how the sale of Sky (the broadcaster) might affect Sky (the team). I can't imagine that taking on the extra costs of a women's team right now is a priority, however worthy.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The future of Team Sky isn't especially secure, at least in it's present form. With the continuing bidding war between 21st Century Fox and Comcast, it's not clear exactly how the sale of Sky (the broadcaster) might affect Sky (the team). I can't imagine that taking on the extra costs of a women's team right now is a priority, however worthy.

Agreed, but a women's team would be loose change to Sky at the moment and a semi-ready to go team would be easy to take over and build upon. Just needs a bold decision taker.

Top Bottom