England : North Yorkshire Wiggle Yorkshire Tour Sportive 20/08/2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-the-yorkshire-tour-sportive/

After really enjoying doing the short 50 mile ride at the Wiggle Vale Vélo earlier this year (despite the non-stop rain), me and a mate have signed up for the 'standard' 81 mile ride at the Wiggle Yorkshire Tour from Thirsk in August.

Is anyone else riding this?
Any ideas as to what to expect? It's certainly got a few more hills than the Vale Vélo... :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In this part of the country, the further west you go, the nastier it gets.

The hardest climbing on the standard route will be on the loop outside Leyburn, but nothing like as hard as the epic route.

Having said that, your route undulates for much of its distance, which can take it out of you as the miles add up.

http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/maps/2016/ukce-wss-yorkshire-tour-2016-map.pdf

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Can't believe that this is less than a week away! Anyone else taking part?
Really looking forward to it, even if the training hasn't gone entirely to plan.

Fingers crossed that the weather forecast improves though. :rain:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Can't believe that this is less than a week away! Anyone else taking part?
Really looking forward to it, even if the training hasn't gone entirely to plan.
Fingers crossed that the weather forecast improves though. :rain:

@NorthernDave,

I feel bound to inform you that it's chucking it down on my static caravan a few miles outside Leyburn.

Forecast is for more of the same tomorrow.

Evidence of route preparation is apparent - orange wiggle arrows on lampposts and a Powerbar Feed Station sign in Wensley.

On the plus side it's still mild and there's very little wind.

I reckon getting wet isn't so bad, provided it's not also cold and/or windy.

Although I won't be venturing out on the bike tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
@NorthernDave,

I feel bound to inform you that it's chucking it down on my static caravan a few miles outside Leyburn.

Forecast is for more of the same tomorrow.

Evidence of route preparation is apparent - orange wiggle arrows on lampposts and a Powerbar Feed Station sign in Wensley.

On the plus side it's still mild and there's very little rain.

I reckon getting wet isn't so bad, provided it's not also cold and/or windy.

Although I won't be venturing out on the bike tomorrow.

Thanks for the update - having just seen the forecast I was in two minds as to digging out my winter bib tights, or manning up and wearing bib shorts and knee warmers. Sounds like it might be too warm for the longs! :rain:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the update - having just seen the forecast I was in two minds as to digging out my winter bib tights, or manning up and wearing bib shorts and knee warmers. Sounds like it might be too warm for the longs! :rain:

Yes, plenty warm enough and very little wind so you won't want to be over-dressed.

Which route are you doing?

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yes, plenty warm enough and very little wind so you won't want to be over-dressed.

Which route are you doing?

The 'standard' route which was advertised as 81 miles, but now I've downloaded the .gpx file is only 80 :laugh: - I may be grateful for small mercies tomorrow

The epic 103 mile route did look tempting, but as well as 20-odd extra miles, there would be over 2,000 extra feet to climb which may well have broken me...

I got a 'weather warning' email from the organisers about an hour ago warning it may be a bit damp and breezy tomorrow, advising to bring lights, wet weather gear and treaded tyres:ohmy:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The 'standard' route which was advertised as 81 miles, but now I've downloaded the .gpx file is only 80 :laugh: - I may be grateful for small mercies tomorrow

The epic 103 mile route did look tempting, but as well as 20-odd extra miles, there would be over 2,000 extra feet to climb which may well have broken me...

I got a 'weather warning' email from the organisers about an hour ago warning it may be a bit damp and breezy tomorrow, advising to bring lights, wet weather gear and treaded tyres:ohmy:

Blimey, it's only a bit of rain, the organisers obviously don't realise slicks offer marginally more grip in the wet than treaded tyres.

You are right about the Epic, that loop west of Leyburn is quite nasty for climbing.

The 80 is still a fairly hard ride, get around that in good order - particularly if there is some adverse weather - and you will have done well.

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Blimey, it's only a bit of rain, the organisers obviously don't realise slicks offer marginally more grip in the wet than treaded tyres.

You are right about the Epic, that loop west of Leyburn is quite nasty for climbing.

The 80 is still a fairly hard ride, get around that in good order - particularly if there is some adverse weather - and you will have done well.

Cheers - I wanted to do something that was a bit of a challenge and this looks like being it. :laugh:
My current longest ride has been 63 miles so it's a bit further, but I've done rides with a bit more climbing so hopefully that will stand me in good stead.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cheers - I wanted to do something that was a bit of a challenge and this looks like being it. :laugh:
My current longest ride has been 63 miles so it's a bit further, but I've done rides with a bit more climbing so hopefully that will stand me in good stead.

Sounds reasonable to me.

The climbing around here tends to be in small chunks, but lots of them.

Constantly going up or down is wearing in itself.

It's an interesting discussion point as to whether climbing the same altitude is easier in fewer, longer climbs, than in lots of short, sharper ones.

I can report it's stopped raining, there's no detectable wind, and I can see very atmospheric mist lying low on the fields

It has an air of Wuthering Heights about it.

Top Bottom