Wild swimming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Is anybody into it? My partner loves cold water swimming and has been in the local lido every morning this winter even on the coldest days when the side of the pool is gritted.
we'd like to base a short break around something alittle more wild this summer and are looking for ideas.
This could be making progress swimming down a river for three days, a swimming tour I suppose you'd call it, or short cycles to different spots day by day but again staying in different places each night.
any ideas or good stories about wild swimming most welcome.
cheers

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
My wife loves the concept, but aside from one trip out with her Guide troop hasn't really done any. There are a few books around that give details on interesting places to go. Easy enough to find by searching 'Wild Swimming'. Interested to hear how you get on. It's sometimes suggested that we cycle somewhere, swim, then cycle back but I can't think of anything I'd want to do less than carry towels etc. with me (or deliberately get wet and then ride the bike damp.)

PK99

Legendary Member
Knew a few great places in and around Eskdale & Wasdale 30 years ago when I lived there.

The best was this one:
http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTAwMDA=

Ice cold all year round!!

Another great one was in the Blengdale forest near Gosforth - there was a shallow rapid that in September was in full sun in late afternoon, heating the water to a comfortable temperature, and just below a narrowing that led to a small waterfall into a 3-4 fooot deep pot pool - a natural swirling, warm jaccuzi!

BTW skinny dipping is compulsory for wild swimming!

pawl

Legendary Member
Is anybody into it? My partner loves cold water swimming and has been in the local lido every morning this winter even on the coldest days when the side of the pool is gritted.
we'd like to base a short break around something alittle more wild this summer and are looking for ideas.
This could be making progress swimming down a river for three days, a swimming tour I suppose you'd call it, or short cycles to different spots day by day but again staying in different places each night.
any ideas or good stories about wild swimming most welcome.
cheers[/QUO. How about the Lake District .Start off with Wastwater then work your way round the rest of the areas lakes(sorry waters)and streams

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Thanks all for what look like some great ideas so far, I'll have a proper read this evening.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I used to swim in lakes, rivers and stuff in my youth, but it wasn't called wild swimming then :smile:

I hate the way yer middle classes have tried to adopt it exclusively... A dip in the sea is claimed as wild swimming these days.

Not to take away from your plans however... Sounds fun.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I only did the skinny dipping thing once, with a bunch of drunken mates on the way back from a pub in Coventry. We swam across the boating pond (lake?) in Nauls Mill Park. When we got to the other side, I suddenly had visions of some other drunk sneaking up and stealing our clothes!

One of my mates managed to find a broken bottle in the bottom of the pond and cut his foot quite badly. He didn't feel it much that night, but woke up next morning to a bloodstained bed and a dull throb from his foot.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Having swum long distances very seldomly since my youth, I now swim 3-5 km every other morning here in India.

Sod cold water, it's 28 degrees here.

@Dayvo

Gloating is bad! :smile:

How's the dead body count on the Goan beaches this year.

Some years back we stayed on Baga beach (before it got really busy) and in the three weeks we were there 5 Indians were washed up in separate incidents.

We were told people from the interior who had never seen the see before came on holiday, had a dip and got into trouble. Not sure if this is true but makes sense if it is.

Lovely beaches - we particularly likes all the cows on the beach.

I did some fairly regularly during 2013 with a triathlon club here. Water temperature meant a wetsuit was mandatory but was still really enjoyable.
Really odd the first time. Firstly as it seemed I'd forgotten how to swim for the 100-200m until I'd relaxed into it. Then the realisation there isn't any stopping, getting from the middle to means having to swim there.
Unfortunately the club moved to a different lake and changed the session days :sad:

Peteaud

Veteran
Not really wild swimming, although i know a few places near here, but a local beach has a great little section for skinny dipping / naturist. Someone has rigged up a fresh water shower (with bamboo and plastic pipe) on a small water flow down the cliff, and when the tide is out and the sand appears its pretty good.

Been there a few times and no one really cares about swim suits / trunks and its a pretty good atmosphere.

Stephenite

Membå
I'm the world's biggest wuss when it comes to cold water. But i love it once i've spent the mandatory 3 hours inching myself in. I'm glued to the water temperature websites when it starts warming up here. The sea and lakes around Oslo are very popular in the summer.

Top Bottom