Will 25c's work for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I’ve just fitted some Vittoria Terreno Dry 700x33 on my Gravel Bike, tested them on Sunday they seem more comfortable, grip very well and my ride recorded the 2nd fastest 30 mile plus, I wasn’t trying to beat any records just kept going, so I’d say width bears no relation to lack of speed, as others have said it’s the actual tyre

Try a set of Schwalbe Lugano 2 folding. Not too pricey, still some puncture protection, massively lighter than Marathon +. They seem to cope with most things.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I really wouldn't downsize, because of the loss of comfort. Even 28's are still narrow tyres, and I only have one set of those, and that's only because the 32's I preferred almost rub the chainstays (on quite a sporty close-clearance Dawes 531 frame). A colleague has 25mm M+ on his commuting hack, purely because he got sick of punctures. I've since had a go on it and the tyres aren't my cup of tea at all. To take the weight those 25's have to be inflated rock hard with a track pump - even the front needs about 90psi. The resulting ride on crappy London tarmac isn't nice. Narrow M+ tyres are very unforgiving, as there is a lot of rubber in them in relation to the air volume. At least the wider ones have proportionally less rubber and more air so are a bit more supple.
I've never believed there was much, if any, rolling resistance benefit to running skinny tyres in real-world conditions out on the road (as opposed to a smooth track) Racers historically went for skinny tyres for weight minimalisation as much as anything.
Skinny tyres weigh less, irrespective of the type of surface being ridden on - so even if they don't give a racer any rolling resistance advantage, they will still be marginally faster overall because they have less tyre rubber to propel around, and less rotational inertia in the wheels.

Top Bottom