Will a Bar Bag turn me into a girl?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am thinking of getting a bar bag, mainly for the Map carrier on top but also for bits and pieces. While I don't normaly give a fig what others say, if any one makes a crack at what I look like they are lible to have a lock chain wrapped round their lugs.
Cush

jay clock

Massive member
If you do go for one I have this one

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...tOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003119c003125m003703

In fact mine is a Vaude one, but the EBC one is the same with a different logo. Superb thing for touring and would strongly recommend it too. It is only 3 litres so small enough for wallet, phone, small waterproof, plus it has a great map cover

Monty Dog

The triathlon bag is about big enough for a couple of energy bars and gels - it's open mesh so pretty useless for protection of contents. I'd recommend a Deuter X-Air rucsac - very small and lightweight and has a suspended mesh back and straps so you don't get a sweat back - mines 5 years old and still going strong.

Danny

Legendary Member
I've happily used a bar bag for some time, and It has never occurred to me that they might been seen as feminine. And even if they are, who cares. Quite frankly you are going to get far more dubious looks from wandering around in tight fitting shorts or longs than you are from carrying a bar bag.

Bar bags are very useful if you have valuables that you want to easily be able to take off the bike and carry round with you. They are also more accessible than a saddle bag when you are on the bike so it is possible to easily reach in to get out a map or a snack while you on the move.

However if all you want to do is carry round a few tools I'd go for a simple saddle bag of some sort.

Tynan

Veteran
used one for ages and found it very handy indeed although it did use up all the handlebar space, using panniers now

yenrod

>Will a Bar Bag turn me into a girl?

No, but it may make you look a bit camp though if you wear a bum bag the wrong way on your stomach / round the front, then thats a prosecutable offence ! :evil:

P.H

Über Member
Monty Dog said:
The triathlon bag is about big enough for a couple of energy bars and gels - it's open mesh so pretty useless for protection of contents.
It has a waterproof cover. I have one on my Audax bike, it holds wallet, phone, pen and brevet card with room left over for a small snack.

Bigtallfatbloke

I carry one around...in a fetching orange...nobody has ever even looked at me strange....I suppose because it's clear from all my other kit that i am on a bicycle....either that or the map in the holder on top makes it clear it's not full of lipstick and whatever else lurks in Ladies handbags.

I added a cycle tie thingy to both ends so I can carry it like a strap off the bike and have added security of it not falling off the bar when I hit a bumpy patch.

...stop being silly...go for it...just dont get a pink one thats all.

Top Bottom