Will bike shops be open during lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

I tried t
This ^^^. Please do not be paranoid about punctures or getting stranded. The risk is low but the hazard (consequence) nevertheless needs mitigating. Do so by becoming sufficiently competent, through videos and then practice. Not that much difference from your studies; but 'hands on'. I have a daughter who like you has just started at uni. She has taken her bike and before term started I 'forced' her to take a wheel off, remove the tyre, replace the inner tube and refit the tyre, pump up and refit the wheel (and readjust brake). You are carrying what you need (no need to repair: just replace tube). Pump the tyre up with your 'mini-pump': when you cannot depress your thumb into the tyre that's well hard (enough) to support your light weight. I have suggested appropriate pressures for your tyres in an earlier thread.
Competence breeds confidence.
I tried to take off my front wheel, disengaged the brakes but my quick release lever thing cant seem to undo it- i undone it before in the past but when i handed it into the bike shop they must have adjusted it and now it's stuck in place and I can't move it :/

I tried t

I tried to take off my front wheel, disengaged the brakes but my quick release lever thing cant seem to undo it- i undone it before in the past but when i handed it into the bike shop they must have adjusted it and now it's stuck in place and I can't move it :/

The wheel quick release? Have you got something strong but soft to hand? Slip it behind the lever and pull it towards you. The lever will be done up tight, perhaps too tight and a bit more leverage will help you.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

The wheel quick release? Have you got something strong but soft to hand? Slip it behind the lever and pull it towards you. The lever will be done up tight, perhaps too tight and a bit more leverage will help you.
I don't have anything on hand, tried to put my whole weight on it but Im small so no luck :sad: No alan keys or anything.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't have anything on hand, tried to put my whole weight on it but Im small so no luck :sad: No alan keys or anything.

Have you got a thin book with a hard cover or pan handle to gain leverage to flip the QR open?

edit or even take seat post out and use that for leverage

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
Carry a spare tube or two, then you can repair your punctured tube at home, in the warm, at your leisure. Don’t rely on using patches outside in the cold and wet.
For years I used patches roadside until one day I had a lightbulb moment and decided to carry a spare tube instead.

I have a small saddle bag which holds a tube, dumbell spanner, three levers and a strap (to support the bike if I get a rear blowout). I still carry a puncture kit just in case I happen to get two punctures on one commute (hasn't happened yet but you never know).

At home, I have a second spare tube and a spare tyre.

I was thinking, what about a piece of cutlery wrapped in a tea towel, hold it like a cross above and below the lever and pull towards you? Should intersect near the end of the lever as far away as possible from the axle to require less force?

vickster

Legendary Member
I just wear padded mitts so doesn’t dig Into hand which is what makes it difficult for me sometimes!

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Have you got a thin book with a hard cover or pan handle to gain leverage to flip the QR open?

edit or even take seat post out and use that for leverage
Pan handle did the job but then the thing you unscrew is a bit odd and nothing like last time and isn't really unscrewing, so I put the bike back together and think I'll work on it some other day because if I mess up my bike and can't do the job, I'll miss the group ride! And nowadays Im waking up at 1pm and the group ride is at 2pm.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's non-essential retail only this time - so not your garages/bike repairs/hardware. You ight not be able to buy fancy watches/clothes/ and shoes with red soles for a few weeks.

If stuck, and there is a CC member locally, I'm sure one can help you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Pan handle did the job but then the thing you unscrew is a bit odd and nothing like last time and isn't really unscrewing, so I put the bike back together and think I'll work on it some other day because if I mess up my bike and can't do the job, I'll miss the group ride! And nowadays Im waking up at 1pm and the group ride is at 2pm.
If you are going on a group ride I feel the best thing you can do is ask for help and advice re your quick release and changing a tube.

All cyclists learn by asking and through experience. There will be someone happy to help and I can guarantee no one will think you daft or a donkey!

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for advice. I've been riding all my life, rather too long, and still ask when I don't understand.

Top Bottom