Will bike shops be open during lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will bike shops be open during the lockdown and if your bike breaks are they able to repair it for you or will bike shops be closed? Also wondering if they're open what is the chance of them allowing me to use their bike pump, to pump my tyres up (Evans)?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Earlier this year, bike shops continued (rationale was to support essential workers) but many dealt with customers at their door, rather than letting them inside. There's often a waiting list for repairs, but why do you fear your bike will 'break'? And it would be reasonable for you to not even ask to use a pump: the aim is to reduce inter-personal contact. Visiting a bike shop to borrow a pump has to fall into the 'non-essential' category.
Track pump - get one in next 30 hours.
Tell me you are carrying a tube, 2/3 levers and a pump when you ride. That pump can be used even if it hasn't got a gauge. Just calibrate the once with a pump with a guage: I know that 120 pumps (the one I carry is not full length) will get me 80psi.
Where are you stopping for the next month: uni or home?

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
My LBS stopped doing repairs for the general public but did offer free repairs to NHS workers and reduced fees for key workers. I suppose it will vary a bit who will offer exactly what service but you could always ask now what your preferred shops plans are.

Oh, and buy a pump. :okay:

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Earlier this year, bike shops continued (rationale was to support essential workers) but many dealt with customers at their door, rather than letting them inside. There's often a waiting list for repairs, but why do you fear your bike will 'break'? And it would be reasonable for you to not even ask to use a pump: the aim is to reduce inter-personal contact. Visiting a bike shop to borrow a pump has to fall into the 'non-essential' category.
Track pump - get one in next 48 hours.
Tell me you are carrying a tube, 2/3 levers and a pump when you ride. That pump can be used even if it hasn't got a gauge. Just calibrate the once with a pump with a guage: I know that 120 pumps (the one I carry is not full length) will get me 80psi.
Where are you stopping for the next month: uni or home?
I have 2 levers, a mini bike pump (but not sure up to how many PSi that one pumps to) and I have 2 inner tubes. I haven't been on my bike for nearly 2 weeks because the paranoia of it breaking and me being stranded gets to me :sad: I think I can deal with a punctured tyre now- but not 100% sure, I'm scared of trying to do it and then not being able to.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I have 2 levers, a mini bike pump (but not sure up to how many PSi that one pumps to) and I have 2 inner tubes. I haven't been on my bike for nearly 2 weeks because the paranoia of it breaking and me being stranded gets to me :sad: I think I can deal with a punctured tyre now- but not 100% sure, I'm scared of trying to do it and then not being able to.

The anxiety around a puncture puts me off riding more as well - it's kind of embarrassing, isn't it! The one time I got a puncture alone, I couldn't fix it (the patch didn't stick despite my best efforts) and I had to get a cab to a bike shop. All the mechanics were young, handsome guys and I was mortified!

rivers

How far can I go?

Have a practice run at home. Deflate the tube, take the wheel off, then take the tyre and tube off and re-mount both. And invest in a track pump for home. The mini pump is to get enough air in to get you home.

vickster

Legendary Member
you need a track pump so you can pump to the right amount for your weight

Big John

Guru
I work as a volunteer for a bike charity since I retired at the end of February. We service customer bikes and refurbish donated bikes to sell cheaply to the public and reduce landfill. We're open during the forthcoming lockdown as we were during the last one so I guess all bike shops may be the same. Last time we were inundated with customer bikes in for servicing but back then the weather was improving, not getting worse like it is now. My guess is that this time round we won't be seeing anything like the same numbers.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have a practice run at home. Deflate the tube, take the wheel off, then take the tyre and tube off and re-mount both. And invest in a track pump for home. The mini pump is to get enough air in to get you home.
This ^^^. Please do not be paranoid about punctures or getting stranded. The risk is low but the hazard (consequence) nevertheless needs mitigating. Do so by becoming sufficiently competent, through videos and then practice. Not that much difference from your studies; but 'hands on'. I have a daughter who like you has just started at uni. She has taken her bike and before term started I 'forced' her to take a wheel off, remove the tyre, replace the inner tube and refit the tyre, pump up and refit the wheel (and readjust brake). You are carrying what you need (no need to repair: just replace tube). Pump the tyre up with your 'mini-pump': when you cannot depress your thumb into the tyre that's well hard (enough) to support your light weight. I have suggested appropriate pressures for your tyres in an earlier thread.
Competence breeds confidence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

This ^^^. Please do not be paranoid about punctures or getting stranded. The risk is low but the hazard (consequence) nevertheless needs mitigating. Do so by becoming sufficiently competent, through videos and then practice. Not that much difference from your studies; but 'hands on'. I have a daughter who like you has just started at uni. She has taken her bike and before term started I 'forced' her to take a wheel off, remove the tyre, replace the inner tube and refit the tyre, pump up and refit the wheel (and readjust brake). You are carrying what you need (no need to repair: just replace tube).
Competence breeds confidence.
Okay I'll try it today, if I mess it up, it's Wednesday tomorrow- still no lockdown so the bike shop will think Im a donkey but they'll fix it.

My bike is going in for some work and they rang me today. I asked the question and they have said they are expecting to be classed as essential as people use bikes to get to and from work and they sometimes need repairs. They said they would close the shop to browsing unless to buy a bike to use for work that cannot be done at home and this would be appointment basis. All repair work would need to be arranged not just dropped in as they are swamped still with work.

Top Bottom