Will bike shops remain open?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wonder how many bike shops will be open following the stricter anti-virus measures.

Cycling is an approved activity, but it seems a stretch to me to say bike shops should therefore be exempt from the general business shut down.

Walking is also approved - does that mean shoe shops should stay open?

Evans has introduced some eminently sensible changes to enable their shops to continue to trade.

But I suspect the announcement in the link was made before last night's ramping up of the restrictions.

I might ring my local bike shop later to find out what's afoot.

Not that I need anything, but I do like to visit to shoot the cycling breeze, and I could do that while still being in full compliance with travel restrictions by taking the journey to the shop as my daily cycle.

I would need to maintain social distancing once inside the shop.

What's happening with your local bike shop, and what do you think should happen?

https://www.evanscycles.com/help/our-responsibilities#COVID19

Mo1959

Legendary Member

screenman

Legendary Member
Unfortunately many self employed people are going to see themselves as essential workers and go to work.About time they sorted some sort of financial package for them.

I am talking to many self employed people through the forums and facebook pages who do not have enough money to last a month or less.

People sometimes assume becuase you work for yourself then you must have a few bob, truth is the self employed are often amongst the lowest earners out there.

Adam4868

Guru
I am talking to many self employed people through the forums and facebook pages who do not have enough money to last a month or less.

People sometimes assume becuase you work for yourself then you must have a few bob, truth is the self employed are often amongst the lowest earners out there.
I'd definately fit that description unfortunately.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Unfortunately many self employed people are going to see themselves as essential workers and go to work.About time they sorted some sort of financial package for them.
Are tradesman supposed to stop work too? Likes of joiners, plumbers and electricians? What about emergencies, etc.

screenman

Legendary Member
Are tradesman supposed to stop work too? Likes of joiners, plumbers and electricians? What about emergencies, etc.

That is where there is a bit of a grey area, I would say emergency yes, finishing laying that bit of garden path no. I do not consider my dent business essential so it is shut, my tool supply business I run from home so that can stay open as I have no contact with the customers.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It's a grey area I think.Who to say your not essential when you need to earn money.A boiler breakdown or such seems pretty essential to me.
That's what I was thinking. Surely if you have a burst pipe or a leaking boiler, etc it's going to have to be dealt with.

Skibird

It's not long confirmed on the radio that Builders can go to work, which makes sense because people can't be left with half finished extensions, and as above, plumbers, electricians will also be needed.

Adam4868

Guru
Well from a few self employed businesses I know.Garage/mechanic is staying open,site workers working today.Taxi drivers.Im not sure how you social distance on a lot of these jobs ?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not that I need anything, but I do like to visit to shoot the cycling breeze, and I could do that while still being in full compliance with travel restrictions by taking the journey to the shop as my daily cycle.

Cleary some still aren't quite getting the message and are still looking for those loopholes.
Please, please Palerider, stick to shooting the cycling breeze virtually for now. Cycle by all means but keep it to solo exercise.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bike shops need to stay open to service those who need bikes as commuters. My LBS has been prioritising servicing for NHS, cleaning all contact points, only one customer at a time, and have even taken the handle off the door.

Anybody exploiting the system or looking for loopholes in government guidance is a murderer. I feel that strongly about it. And seriously, do you need the government to tell you exactly what to do or can you manage to do the right thing by yourself? This is a right wing government which is supposed to mean little state intervention and greater individual responsibility after all.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cleary some still aren't quite getting the message and are still looking for those loopholes.
Please, please Palerider, stick to shooting the cycling breeze virtually for now. Cycle by all means but keep it to solo exercise.

It's fascinating to see how an activity can be portrayed restriction compliant.

I would be solo to and from the shop, which is an allowed journey if I say it's for the purpose of exercise.

Seems from @Mo1959's link, bicycle shops are allowed to open.

It follows that customers are allowed to visit.

Where I fall out of bed is my visit is not essential because I'm not going there to buy anything.

It's really meeting friends, which Boris said is banned.

Looks like I will have to fabricate an urgent need for a bike specific 10p washer to make the overall trip restriction compliant.

screenman

Legendary Member
It's not long confirmed on the radio that Builders can go to work, which makes sense because people can't be left with half finished extensions, and as above, plumbers, electricians will also be needed.

Why can people not be left with a half finished extension, this is life and death.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom