Will bike shops remain open?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Let’s think befor we post.Now is the time to support each other not court controversy
I'm sick of it. My family member is in the ICU and I'm stuck in the house with a feverish coughing baby while people are out congregating and having a jolly old time altogether. After our 14 day isolation I will be back at work in the hospital lab. I have no idea what I will be returning to but I will be trying to keep our service running under what I can only imagine will be considerable pressure. I have made a conscious decision to start calling people out.

Bear in mind that on this forum I sometimes use forceful language and then report my own posts to the mods so that they can decide if I've crossed a line and can edit my posts accordingly. I have not reported any posts this morning.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It depends on whether you want to interpret the rules to meet your own needs.
It's pretty clear what is being said, but up to your conscience ultimately as to how you wish to comply 👍

I'll be restricting my outdoor activity to an hour a day, I may go in the garden to garden although I hate gardening ^_^ I can walk to the shops when I need essentials

I have a rheumatological condition and get stiffness and pain if I'm inactive, but I have set up the turbo and I can walk up and down the stairs!
Indeed; that's what I find difficult having a very risk-averse, guilt-and-anxiety-prone mindset. This situation made worse by the resentment that I'm potentially crucifying myself for going out for a long ride while those motivated by greed continue to risk far higher chances of transmission and go to non-essential jobs with tacit official approval.

Good luck with the garden - by the amount of time this is looking likely to take to get sorted, I expect it to be absolutely pristine by the summer :tongue:

I just dropped the car off for an MOT. Garage is allowed to remain open but is closing very shortly for their own health. Popped into the Co-op on way home and everyone was keeping a good distance and many looked positively scared :sad:
Thanks - good that people are evidently taking notice, but this appears to be in stark contrast to many other areas of the country from some accounts on here / the news. Fingers' crossed the car gets through its MOT OK!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Indeed; that's what I find difficult having a very risk-averse, guilt-and-anxiety-prone mindset. This situation made worse by the resentment that I'm potentially crucifying myself for going out for a long ride while those motivated by greed continue to risk far higher chances of transmission and go to non-essential jobs with tacit official approval.

Good luck with the garden - by the amount of time this is looking likely to take to get sorted, I expect it to be absolutely pristine by the summer :tongue:

Thanks - good that people are evidently taking notice, but this appears to be in stark contrast to many other areas of the country from some accounts on here / the news. Fingers' crossed the car gets through its MOT OK!
Hope so as he's just put up a post on Facebook saying he's closing his doors at lunchtime.

pawl

Legendary Member
I'm sick of it. My family member is in the ICU and I'm stuck in the house with a feverish coughing baby while people are out congregating and having a jolly old time altogether. After our 14 day isolation I will be back at work in the hospital lab. I have no idea what I will be returning to but I will be trying to keep our service running under what I can only imagine will be considerable pressure. I have made a conscious decision to start calling people out.

Bear in mind that on this forum I sometimes use forceful language and then report my own posts to the mods so that they can decide if I've crossed a line and can edit my posts accordingly. I have not reported any posts this morning.

Stay strong .we need people like you.Hope you feel better soon.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unfortunately many self employed people are going to see themselves as essential workers and go to work.About time they sorted some sort of financial package for them.
They should have sorted their own insurance when the going was good. 2 of my daughters are self employed and did just that, and they're fairly comfortable with the situation as a result. Ditto people that don't bother with home insurance and then expect a handout when they flood. Relying on the state when in crisis should be the act of last resort, not something done as a substitute for prior planning and preparation.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have made the wrong assumption all members would be mature enough to see that, because clearly some aren't.
Don't try to blame others, you've been on this site long enough to know that CC posters occupy a very broad range of maturity, both physical and mental.

Adam4868

Guru
They should have sorted their own insurance when the going was good. 2 of my daughters are self employed and did just that, and they're fairly comfortable with the situation as a result. Ditto people that don't bother with home insurance and then expect a handout when they flood. Relying on the state when in crisis should be the act of last resort, not something done as a substitute for prior planning and preparation.
So the goings been good for everyone has it ? What's home insurance got to do with it...if the state can pay workers they can help the self employed the same.So I'm afraid that's bollox

screenman

Legendary Member

If you cannot afford such luxuries?

rivers

How far can I go?
A few of my local shops and mechanics are staying open for servicing. But you can't just drop in, and some of them is for essential workers only. Everything must be pre-booked, you're not allowed in the shop (so drop and pick-up at the door), payment by card only. If you need anything, you can order over the phone, and it will be delivered by post.

pawl

Legendary Member
Thanks, but it's not people like me we need. It's everybody doing their bit. Which for many people just means staying at home.

Don’t be so modest It is exactly people like you we need.I worked in within the NHS as a nurse and later as a sSocial Worker arranging.assistance for discharge for older people as part of a multi disciplinary team I had and always have the greatest respect for my NHS colleagues

This "minimising of time outside" irritates me as somewhat of a red herring IMO. Exposure to people is the problem, not simply setting foot outside your house. Granted these may be one in the same if you live in London, but if you have access to rural roads with no pedestrains I don't see an practical difference in risk between a 30 minute or three-hour bike ride tbh.
I agree. We should look at the ACTUAL gov advice, then look at WHAT IS THE PURPOSE?*, and then ask ourselves what is reasonable WITHIN those aims,

*In this case, it's about minimisng spread of the virus. Everything else is a distant 2nd place.

All these new measures are even making me paranoid about / second-guess going to the shops if I'm not physically starving / running out of food; but surely better to buy now to bolster existing stores while the infection rate remains fairly low than wait 2-3 weeks until the cupboards are bare and the infection has spread significantly further within the population...?
I disagree! We need to clamp down on the infection rate NOW. This will pay us back later.

The time for stockpiling (if there ever was one!) was when China had infections, but we had none. That window has closed. Unfortunately.

Top Bottom