Will I always be this slow?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fizzy

Hi,

Recently begun communiting just a couple of times a week from essex to central london - 11 miles...

It takes about an hour - does this sound right?

Everyone seems to fly past me.... I think I have to be the slowest person on the mile end road ever!

spindrift

That's faster than me mate, 40 minutes for a seven miler along part of yopur commute.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I started off doing 8 miles in about 50 minutes so that's pretty similar. I've got it down to about 37 minutes riding sporadically over a couple of months so your time will soon improve. I'm sure I can reduce my time further with a bit of effort. Have you got a computer? It was pretty satisfying seeing my speeds go up.

I do a regular 11 mile run but it is pretty much clear of traffic, takes me 38 minutes but I have been cycling for 30 years plus the trike is more or less my primary transport now.

cupoftea

Fizzy Yes

Only Joking :-)

I cycle the mile end road, and as you do it more often you'll get quicker, a number of those overtaking you have been doing this for years everyday, so don't feel bad, at least your doing it and hopefully enjoying yourself and saving money!

domtyler

Über Member
I do the mile end road joining at Stratford and must admit that I seem to be quite quick compared to most other cyclists. I don't know why as I am not that fit or muscly but just seem to have the gift of being able to go pretty quick on a bike. Speed is far from being the most important thing though, being able to ride safely in the traffic is pretty high up there and just as importantly is the ability to just relax and enjoy yourself on the bike. So what if some idiots fly by? Just let 'em go, relax, look around and feel sorry for those poor b***ards in their cars, on the tubes, in the buses etc. ;)

Alcdrew

It's not a bad starting speed, and depending on your route should easily improve.

I do a 7 mile commute which both ways is very hilly so takes me any where between 30 and 40 mins depending on how much effort I want to put in to it.

OP
OP
F

fizzy

Phew...

Yes I have got bike computer just need to fit it! In my head I blamed my poor knowledge of gears (clearly it has nothing to do with that whatsoever)...

So glad I have taken the plunge..it beats the central line anyday that's for sure....

domtyler

Über Member
fizzy said:
Phew...

Yes I have got bike computer just need to fit it! In my head I blamed my poor knowledge of gears (clearly it has nothing to do with that whatsoever)...

So glad I have taken the plunge..it beats the central line anyday that's for sure....

Let's see if your still saying that come mid December! ;)

PrettyboyTim

fizzy said:
Hi,

Recently begun communiting just a couple of times a week from essex to central london - 11 miles...

It takes about an hour - does this sound right?

Everyone seems to fly past me.... I think I have to be the slowest person on the mile end road ever!

That sounds fine to me. I have a seven mile commute which takes me about 35 minutes (or about 12.5 mph average). You may find that your time improves after a bit but you'll probably find it's limited by the number of traffic lights etc that you have to stop at.

What kind of bike do you have? If you're riding a mountain bike you might get a bit of an instant boost by changing the tyres from wide knobbly ones to some slimmer, slicker ones.

OP
OP
F

fizzy

PrettyboyTim said:
That sounds fine to me. I have a seven mile commute which takes me about 35 minutes (or about 12.5 mph average). You may find that your time improves after a bit but you'll probably find it's limited by the number of traffic lights etc that you have to stop at.

What kind of bike do you have? If you're riding a mountain bike you might get a bit of an instant boost by changing the tyres from wide knobbly ones to some slimmer, slicker ones.

I have a spesh sirrus... you're definately right about the lights and junctions they definatley have a big impact... I'd be happy to do it in 50mins which I think is achievable - then it would take the same time as the tube...

redjedi

Über Member
It doesn't sound too bad to me. My 7.5m commute takes about 35mins and I've been cycling for just over a year.
My previous commute was only 3.5m in north London and took me 25-30 mins (figure that out).

But you will get faster.

Do you get home all out of breath and sweating like a pig, or take it easy?

I like to take it easy into work and go as fast (but safe) as possible on the journey home. This has helped me loose a lot of weight and get fitter.

Top Bottom