Will I be wasting my own and the GP's time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've booked an appointment to see my GP on Friday about two trivial matters:

1 - In the last few years whenever I eat bread, especially sticky moist bread that's high in gluten, I get painfully bloated guts and I fart like a horse. I know that as I age I am less able to digest gluten so is there actually any point in going to see him? He will probably just ask: "Have you tried gluten-free bread?"

2 - In the last few years I've grown some nasty hard little piles on my bottom. They don't really cause me pain when I walk or cycle although they get a bit sore if I'm heavy-handed with the loo paper. I know at as I age piles are to be expected so is there actually any point in going to see him? He will probably just ask: "Do they bleed or cause you pain when cycling? No? Be grateful then!"

What does the panel think?

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
1. Avoid the bread and see how you get on.
2. I am the same age as you and I don't get heaps of piles - ha ha! My suggestion is to go very heavy on fruit and veg, and very light on meat.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
How will eating fruit and veg stop small hard lumps appearing on my bottom? I have a regular bowel habit and don't need to strain to pass stools.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How will eating fruit and veg stop small hard lumps appearing on my bottom? I have a regular bowel habit and don't need to strain to pass stools.
In your case then it might not help. Many people are not regular and do strain, in which case a change of diet probably would help.

Perhaps you should see your GP to investigate what is causing the problem before it potentially becomes more serious?

1) It could be gluten, or it could be bread itself, so try a period of gluten free stuff first to see.

2) Re the piles, as they're normally due to constipation, it could be part of a wider issue regarding low level food allergies linked to 1).

Perhaps look at your overall diet first, as chances are the GP won't suggest anything useful.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
1. celiac disease
2. no idea
3. never ask an internet doctor

Cycleops

Legendary Member
White bread is poison. I never eat it. Switch to wholemeal. Can't comment on the gluten issue but I wouldn't think its relevant.
Are you getting bleeding? I used to suffer like that (blood and itching) and changed my diet to eat more roughage, vegetables and fruit. Porridge or muesli for breakfast. After a few months I had no problems at all. I don't believe piles are age related.
See what the quack says and take it from there.

Top Bottom