Will I ever see my parcel ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have had my parcels delivered to someone else's parcel receiving bin! I'm "X" "name" Close they are "X" "name" Road. Luckily its not far and the parcel bin isn't locked and I know what a picture of their door and parcel bin looks like!! Despite different postcodes, we get each others mail from time to time.

presta

Guru
I bought a chain from JE James once that was posted recorded delivery, and the postman just put it through the letter box without getting a signature for it.

Yes they do, well assuming you mean Royal Mail rather than The Post Office.
There is an option on the PDA (handheld computer) to enter 'refused'.
When I went down to the delivery office, they looked on the computer but couldn't even tell me whether it left the post office where I posted it. They told me that recorded letters that aren't delivered are returned to sender, but I doubt that as the recorded delivery stickers don't have the senders name and post code written on them any more. When I posted a second letter by registered post I asked what happens if the recipient refuses it, and he just looked blank and said "why would they do that?". He wrote my name & address on the back of the envelope to humour me, but unless there's an organised system for returns I can't see that making any difference.

albion

Guru
I can assure you lots of disciplinary things go on. Tradition. Also, every MC or DC will be differing in these traditions.

The other thing to note is that delivery vehicles can be double secured depending on centre. That is they can be both in a secure compound and in a closed garage type building.
They are still well ahead of the likes of Yodel and Evri, who by nature, have some extremely bizarre practices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have had my parcels delivered to someone else's parcel receiving bin! I'm "X" "name" Close they are "X" "name" Road. Luckily its not far and the parcel bin isn't locked and I know what a picture of their door and parcel bin looks like!! Despite different postcodes, we get each others mail from time to time.

We used to get the mail for the same number house but in another street. We knew the person who it was meant for .

rualexander

Legendary Member
I bought a chain from JE James once that was posted recorded delivery, and the postman just put it through the letter box without getting a signature for it.

When I went down to the delivery office, they looked on the computer but couldn't even tell me whether it left the post office where I posted it. They told me that recorded letters that aren't delivered are returned to sender, but I doubt that as the recorded delivery stickers don't have the senders name and post code written on them any more. When I posted a second letter by registered post I asked what happens if the recipient refuses it, and he just looked blank and said "why would they do that?". He wrote my name & address on the back of the envelope to humour me, but unless there's an organised system for returns I can't see that making any difference.

Some postie's will sometimes post signed for items through the letter box without a signature intending it as a favour to the recipient if they aren't in, they shouldn't do it but some do. Also, during covid, there was an exception where signed for items could be delivered without getting a signature, for obvious reasons.

Undelivered items without a sender's address on the outside, are sent to a processing centre in Belfast where they are opened and the sender's details are ascertained and the item is then returned to sender.

Sender's details are also now encoded in the '2D barcode' that is printed on the label of the majority of mail.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
It's amazing !
My lens filter eventually turned up yesterday!
It's only been 16 days in the post !

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
We have been waiting around for a delivery today . It should have arrived last week. My wife has just said that if she sees something online and it's to be posted by Royal Mail she will avoid it !

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We used to get the mail for the same number house but in another street. We knew the person who it was meant for .

I have that problem as well but caused by a fault in the software when the postcode refuses to give my correct address. That is only if the sender is using old software as there is a more modern correct version.
Our usual postman delivers correctly regardless but strangers cause chaos and one said nobody locally knew where I lived but obviously he did not bother asking anybody.

johnnyb47

Guru
Aghhhh parcel deliveries are a daily torture for me at work. Each day I will get around 5 different couriers bringing stuff in.
The tricks and tactics they've used over the years saying it's been delivered is enough to fry your brain.
I've had couriers signing my name for a so "called delivered parcels" whilst they were the other side of town because they where timed deliveries.
I've found parcels left out side the front gates of my work place next to a busy main road and some stuffed between the iron railings of the factory perimeter days after they've been delivered
Just last week I was waiting for a fork truck electronic part to arrive.It was due for delivery at 9 am. The engineer hung around from 8.30 to 12 and still no sign of it.After I started chasing it,it turned out my dad had signed for it at the other side of the factory.The thing is, my dad lives 70 miles away and left my work place 23 years ago to enjoy his retirement.. The mind boggles.
In my experience DPD are the worst of the worst in my area.I don't think these 20mph speed limits are helping either in Wales.Some of these drivers have got around 70 drops a day and combined with the slow flowing traffic of 20mph is just adding to their frustration

Top Bottom