Will I look like a tool...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kurt909

If Im a large guy, quite a bit of fat on legs, beginner rider, wearing cycling shorts + jersey, on a hybrid?

I am a little self conscious about doing it, but sometimes I see myself in a reflection and I already look like a tool anyway in my baggy adidas shorts and cotton t shirt!

If its gonna make my experience better then I may buy some cheap clothing and see what its like..

Opinions?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If someone who loves you starts laughing then you know you've cracked the look .... then ride with confidence knowing you look the bee's knees- I do.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Wear whatever you want, and don't take any notice of anyone. Within a few miles, you won't care what they think anyway. Ita all about what you want and how you feel. Each to his own. I wear cycling 3/4 shorts, cycling top and if its cold a swestshirt. If its what you want then go for it. Good luck.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Wear whatever you want, and don't take any notice of anyone. Within a few miles, you won't care what they think anyway. Ita all about what you want and how you feel. Each to his own. I wear cycling 3/4 shorts, cycling top and if its cold a swestshirt. If its what you want then go for it. Good luck.

Couldn't agree more WD - I rode a 20 mile circuit hereabouts in flip-flops yesterday. And I may be about to ride to the allotment in wellies. It's the lumps in cars that look pretty silly to me!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
'No' is the simple answer.

Personally, I wore baggies over the lycra until I'd hit 12 stone but it's a personal issue. My club's got several 20+ stone riders who'll wear full lycra happily.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Couldn't agree more WD - I rode a 20 mile circuit hereabouts in flip-flops yesterday. And I may be about to ride to the allotment in wellies. It's the lumps in cars that look pretty silly to me!

Flip flops and wellies. I ride In trainers and when I started I was wearing tracky bottoms and baggy tops because I didn't want anyone looking at me. Knock em dead.:laugh: :thumbsup:

lesley_x

Über Member
I wear mtb shorts (they have tight padded shorts as an insert and a 'baggy' outer pair of shorts) and shoes, and road jerseys. I did wear lycra pre-steroids but wouldn't now, I just wouldn't feel comfortable. The MTB shorts are just as comfortable and give me some modesty. Wear what you want and what suits your riding. Don't worry about what other people think. Anyone who looks twice will probably be going home to watch TV, on the couch, possibly with takeaway. Anyone who lives an active lifestyle would not look twice at what someone wears riding a bike. It's what works for that person.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Wear what you like, no one really gives a **** any way, just make sure you get descent lycra or the right size so it don't become see through, there is nothing worse than see through lycra when you are behind some other guy, stick with black and you will be fine,

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I ride around Cambridge on a bike carrying a leaf blower, or a chainsaw or a knapsack sprayer or loads of plants. Do people shout things like "ghost busters" when I have the leaf blower on? YES!

I'll get over it, and so will they.

Wear what you're happy in ^_^

Top Bottom