Will I look like a tool...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
Wear what you like, no one really gives a **** any way, just make sure you get descent lycra or the right size so it don't become see through, there is nothing worse than see through lycra when you are behind some other guy, stick with black and you will be fine,

Oh gawd I do hate seeing buttcrack through lycra shorts. I saw buttcrack through Castelli shorts which probably cost a small fortune. Buy new ones reasonably often!!!!!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Comfort every time!!!
I wear a mixture...some days it's padded Lycra shorts, some days it's undershorts and a pair of MTB baggies on top, with either, I always wear a t-shirt or vest top.
I'm happy and comfortable. Anyone who laughs can go do one....I'm out there getting fitter and losing weight!

DannyCFC

I used to carry a tracksuit to put on when we stopped for food and drink until I realised that even with lycra tracing undulating curves I looked nowhere near as daft as many other people in there, regardless of where we were. Go to a National Trust cafe at the weekend and you'll get a big shock. And I don't just mean the prices.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
No one looks good in lycra. No One. Is it time to dig out the photo of the fat bloke in pink lycra again?

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Go for comfort.
I cycle around 25 miles a day in a regular t shirt and shorts with a pair of padded cycling boxers underneath. In winter I go for base layers with cargo pants and a hoody.
I'm overweight and not confident enough to wear lycra. I get told I have nice legs tho ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

Wear whatever is comfortable and take no notice of what others think or say.

Dave, Myton Hospice 60 MileCycle Challenge 2021.jpg

The shorts are unpadded running shorts worn with bamboo sports trunks underneath, very comfortable.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Once you are on the bike no-one will notice you (certainly not most of the car drivers round here, anyway). Going outside in your lycra can be a little nerve-wracking at first, and even now I sometimes open the garage door as quietly as possible and tiptoe out with my bike so the neighbours won't see me. My wife still sniggers occasionally, but I can live with that.

.stu

Über Member
A year ago I got myself a road bike, and soon after some lycra shorts and cycling jerseys. I was 15 stones and was concerned because I no longer had a chin, and I couldn't see my tackle in the shower. My bosses at work all took the piss and made smarmy comments, but now they don't say anything. I am 11 1/2 stone, can fit into the clothes I kept from 10 years ago before I got married (despite my wife's many attempts to give them to charity because "they were never going to fit me again"), I can cycle to work almost as quickly as my colleagues can drive to work, I've got a nice suntan from getting out on my bike for 2 hours a day most days of the week, and my bosses daren't say a word as their bellies all hang out over their belts by several inches, and their shirt buttons strain to hold it all in. Oh yeah and I have a proper well defined chin again...

So I say don't worry about what anyone else thinks, get out there and do it and you'll soon start seeing the benefits.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have a tendency to favor cargo shorts over padded cycling shorts meant to be worn as underwear, and a long sleeved white shirt, mainly due to climate in the Central US. I just found it worked better for me than lycra. I also wear long black compression stockings, so I've always been a bit of the odd man out in cycling attire.

Top Bottom