Will I look like a tool...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
I did for a while wear baggy shorts etc but as soon as you try some bib shorts you realise that you are far more comfortable in lycra and who cares less what you look like. I see plenty of racing snakes and fat lads all in lycra and it's all good.

nappadang

Über Member
Just get comfortable. Wear what you like (I'd probably avoid a tutu and thong combo) because no one will take much notice anyway.
Just remember, you will lose weight so don't buy super expensive gear to start off with.
As Welsh Dragon said “knock em dead.“

Steady

Über Member
Being larger myself, I've come to realise I look more daft trying to wear baggy clothes than the more form fitting lycra.

In fact, baggy clothes tend to make me look bigger, wider and chunkier than I actually am.

I still wear shorts over the lycra padded shorts, but everyone whose seen me tells me to lose the shorts I wear over the top because they look silly and I look perfectly okay in just the lycra padded shorts.

My mind however isn't ready to be that wild yet. :stop:

Both jersey and shorts are extremely more comfortable too.

OP
OP
kurt909

kurt909

UzgQLq7.jpg

Well I bit the bullet.. I bought a size xl in fear of them being too tight, but realised when riding the padding would keep riding up thus being useless. Dumb fool I am

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
UzgQLq7.jpg

Well I bit the bullet.. I bought a size xl in fear of them being too tight, but realised when riding the padding would keep riding up thus being useless. Dumb fool I am

You look fine. Don't know what you were worried about, although I'm not sure about the pink trainers to be honest :laugh: . Dont worry, no one will take any notice at all.:thumbsup:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

Errrr ok. I stand corrected (but they look pink in the photo) :whistle:

Rouge79

Just wear what is MOST COMFORTABLE for you. Don't give a toss what some other tools may think. Someone will always want to make a snide comment whatever you wear so F*** em all and wear what you want.

Bravo to you for getting on a bike in the first place :bravo: :bicycle::welcome:

Good Luck and ENJOY!!!!!!

*all of the above does NOT apply to Rapha wearers :whistle:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Look at it this way. Fifty years from now no one will know or care!

I pretty much run my life on this premise.:thumbsup:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
All bike stuff looks ridiculous the minute you're more than 3 feet from a bike, so be careful about that ;)

If you do feel self conscious, there are decent options for baggy shorts - I like the Endura Humvee myself, they come with a padded liner which is WAY better than it used to be. Similarly, you could go for a "technical" top rather than a cycling jersey, or a "club fit" cycling jersey (you still get the handy back pockets, but in a less skin tight cut).

I started out in cargo shorts and t-shirts (on a £50 "Racer" from the free ads), fwiw.

Top Bottom