Will I need a wheel true doing after a snapped spoke replacement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a basic Draper chain whip purchased in the v.early 1990s for removing stubborn car oil filters. Not actually very good for the oil filter job due to the often limited space preventing sufficient movement to tighten the whip, slightly crush the filter and then give enough turn to undo the filter.
However, it is long since paid for and doubles up as the chain whip needed for holding the cassette during removal.
Buy the tools once, use them and keep them. They will pay for themselves many times over :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
this should do you
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-x-..._term=SIBOOM+UK&utm_content=Comparison+Engine
£35 for a basic tool kit all you need is the right spoke , they can be different lengths , thickness etc so its worth just taking the spoke or wheel into a LBS and asking for the right one if your not sure

sleuthey

Legendary Member
@Smudge - I was thinking of trying to fix it myself but I would have had to buy the tools to do it. I usually fix everything else apart from the bottom bracket myself, but I thought what the hell when I realised I would have to buy tools to repair it. I would also of needed to buy a tool to take off my cassette, which I plan on changing myself next year when I need a new chain.

Would you say it's common for spokes to snap because in all honestly it's only ever happened this once to me and that was because I hit a pothole. I ask because I wonder if it's worth investing in some spoke tools?
I didn't need my special tools other than cassette removal tool and chain wip, you could probably source the pair for a tenner. Then you have them for future use

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Also doing the job yourself gives a valuable insight into how the things work/should work.
Like others have said once bought, the tools will be used again and again, saving money in the long run.
When replacing a broken spoke the wheel will need truing (it's part of the job of replacing the spoke).

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
Also, if you do it yourself and assuming you have faith in your own workmanship, you know it will be done right. I never want to let anyone else work on my bikes or my motorcycles, because i just dont trust them to take the care to do it properly.

Sharky

Guru
+1
You never know when those skills are needed for road side repairs.

Have recently come across a couple of cyclists with chain problems. One chain had split and he was walking a couple of miles to the station. The other one had broken their gear hanger and the RD was hanging loose. In both cases, skill with a chain splitter would have rejoined the chain or shortened it to turn into an SS and would have got home. The one with the broken RD had called his OH and was waiting for a lift, in spite of actually having a chain splitter in his bag!

Top Bottom