Will it work??? Chainset??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

Btw, I can't get the shimano shifter to work with the shimano 10s or 105 (cant tell by the stupid font on it..) deraileur... even when the deraileur isn't attached to the frame, are these two not supposed to go together??

MajorMantra

Err, that link goes to a 'New thread' form. :biggrin:

I have a 9spd 105 chainset I'll sell you (brand new but cheap) if you're interested.

Matthew

MajorMantra

Oh and how can you tell if a derailer's working if it's not on the frame? Tiagra 9 spd shifters should work with almost any 10 speed (or 105 for that matter) rear mech as far as I know.

Matthew

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

i.e., both limit screws completely slack, then put the shifter in 9th, then attach the cables to the mech whilst said mech is in high gear position.... then shift up through the gears on the shifter, to get into gear 2 there's a fair amount of resistance, getting into gear 1 is impossible, even though the limit screws are doing nothing at this point...

I'm utterly confuzzeled...

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

and thanks for the offer, but I'm looking to do this on the cheap - I'm only doing 3 miles there and three miles back every day, and leaving the bike locked up outside college, where there is an abndance of less-than-reputable-gentlemen hanging and loitering...

MajorMantra

lazyfatgit said:
MM, is it double/triple/compact, what length?

Sending PM to avoid thread hijack. I have 2 of these chainsets for sale by the way.

Matthew

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

try it (or not) sometime - if you take the chain off of a bike, and then unscrew the mech-to-dropout bolt, then you have a mech that is attached to a bike solely via the cable (both inner and outer)...

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Trumpettom001 said:
try it (or not) sometime - if you take the chain off of a bike, and then unscrew the mech-to-dropout bolt, then you have a mech that is attached to a bike solely via the cable (both inner and outer)...
Excuse me asking - but why? I must be missing something - why not leave the mech attached to the frame, or attach it to the frame to test it?

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

I basically got the mech wayy before i got the dropout to attach it to the frame - so, in an attempt to make sure the build went smoothly, I tested the mech as described...

my only explanation to what could have happened is this:

I obtained a set of shifters/wheels/bars from somebody who had had their bike vandalised, so they then stripped it down, and gave me the parts (sold me the parts really)....

Is it possible that even though original dropout was intact after the incedent, a well aimed kick could have knocked it out of true??

Top Bottom