Will the new mandatory face covering laws on public transport push up bike sales still further?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Where is everybody supposed to get these masks from & how are you supposed to know they are of a quality that means they actually work? Also why from the 15th? What's happening between now &then that makes it safe before but not after, do they have a crystal ball?

I think the british government has been dealing with the pandemic in an incredibly horrible way.

In other countries where masks were made compulsory (for instance, Italy), the government provided the masks for free to all citizens.

In the uk....zero guidance, zero help.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'll be avoiding public transport for the time being, but not because of having to wear a mask. Now, that the number of people allowed on the bus is limited, it will be even less reliable than previously. The one day/week I took the bus for work could take anything from an hour and 20 minutes to 3 hours to get to work. My wife and I have sorted out that there are a couple of days/week where she doesn't need the car, and I can take it then, or if possible, I work from home.
But, if the government turned around and said I needed to wear a mask to enter stores, then I wouldn't complain. Because it's not about me, it's about protecting those around me.
edited to add: i already wear a mask into the grocery store and am avoiding other stores at the minute.

BigMeatball

My office will be closed until the end of October, regardless of what the situation is and the guidance from the government, so I won't be taking public transport for a looooong time.

Mike_P

Guru
or in other words:
"Nope, I have no idea what the answer is."
Well done.
Pretty clear statement by my local bus company
A face covering, usually made from cloth, is used to cover your nose and mouth whilst allowing you to breathe comfortably. It doesn’t have to be a bespoke item – it can be a scarf or other small item of clothing. You are not encouraged to wear medical face masks, which are prioritised to our hard-working friends in the NHS.

A face covering, usually made from cloth, is used to cover your nose and mouth whilst allowing you to breathe comfortably. It doesn’t have to be a bespoke item – it can be a scarf or other small item of clothing. You are not encouraged to wear medical face masks, which are prioritised to our hard-working friends in the NHS.
At least that is adding some information to the discussion. :okay:

lane

Veteran
A comment taken off another forum;

I don’t understand why anyone should want to exploit loophole with regard to wearing a mask. Whilst it cannot stop you getting the virus it will reduce the chance of you giving it to someone else. So in one sense It becomes a mark of respect for your fellow man or woman rather than the behaviour of short sighted people who think they are free to do anything they like and damn the consequences for everyone else.
All the best

Not a loophole. Just clarity on what is required, which is absolute bare minimum that should be expected before any new policy is introduced. Not least if you want the policy to achieve the stated objective. Clearly just from discussion on this form that bare minimum expectation has not been met.

lane

Veteran
I think the british government has been dealing with the pandemic in an incredibly horrible way.

In other countries where masks were made compulsory (for instance, Italy), the government provided the masks for free to all citizens.

In the uk....zero guidance, zero help.

Exactly. But when you try to establish such information on this forum you are accused of trying to find loopholes. Hence people think F*** it and don't bother.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Firstly, we need 85-90% of the population to be immune for herd immunity to work. Secondly, we do not yet know whether having antibodies actually makes someone immune and for how long.
As I understand it, if there is herd immunity to the Coronavirus it would be achieved at a much lower percentage because of the relatively low R number (compared to say, measles).

But that's nitpicking. It's your 2nd point that bothers me.

BigMeatball

Exactly. But when you try to establish such information on this forum you are accused of trying to find loopholes. Hence people think F*** it and don't bother.

Yes, agreed.

Judging from what I've seen on the streets and what I've read on forums/facebook groups, it would appear that the vast majority of the population in the uk is just trying to find loopholes to keep doing whatever the hell they want. It's shocking how it's just "me me me" and they can't understand the bigger picture.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I have a large stock of the decent medical grade face masks, just in case ( as I think will certainly happen ) the rules are tightened to include all indoor public areas. I also have a buff I bought from the Bianchi owners club, which has a built in PPE filter, so I can cover my face in style:okay:.

lane

Veteran
I have a large stock of the decent medical grade face masks, just in case ( as I think will certainly happen ) the rules are tightened to include all indoor public areas. I also have a buff I bought from the Bianchi owners club, which has a built in PPE filter, so I can cover my face in style:okay:.

Yes fine but are you actually allowed to wear them? Does anyone know and if not why not

lane

Veteran
[

Well that does help in a way - although it is so vague you could wear whatever - using such phrases as "usually" or "not encouraged". My son has some sort of PPE he bouht from China pre lockdown - but not one the NHS would use. However it does seem that from other discussion contractors are now short of PPE - not sure if his is one contractors would use. Also not sure if his protects just him or others. He seems quite happy it protects him. So it is clear as mud.

lane

Veteran

Talking about ALL indoor public spaces - funny thing is my daughter MUST wear a mask (or should we face covering?) on the bus to school but MUST NOT wear it in the school. Anyone actually think this makes sense?

Top Bottom