Will the new mandatory face covering laws on public transport push up bike sales still further?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Same here in Rotherham ... nobody bothered .... and the majority of the residents of Rotherham town centre don't speak English as a first language so maybe there is a bit of a barrier ...

Shreds

The whole saga has been driven by morons who dont know or understand anything at all. The cheap masks you can buy on the internet will save you from nothing nor will a scarf. Gaps around your nose, your beard etc are acknowledged weak points and the manufacturers will off record even confirm this. Those that are totally effective are NOT cheap and are special order only..

For years I have needed the most cost effective one in work situations yet today, my usual national supplier just said they are no longer selling them because of the unprecedented denand.

So because of the hoarding and paranoia, I can no longer work.

Government didnt think that one through, as all my colleagues in similar situatons across the country are the same.

Anarchy in the UK.

classic33

Leg End Member
The whole saga has been driven by morons who dont know or understand anything at all. The cheap masks you can buy on the internet will save you from nothing nor will a scarf. Gaps around your nose, your beard etc are acknowledged weak points and the manufacturers will off record even confirm this. Those that are totally effective are NOT cheap and are special order only..

For years I have needed the most cost effective one in work situations yet today, my usual national supplier just said they are no longer selling them because of the unprecedented denand.

So because of the hoarding and paranoia, I can no longer work.

Government didnt think that one through, as all my colleagues in similar situatons across the country are the same.

Anarchy in the UK.
They're to protect others from you, not you from others.

Basic hygiene measures not being followed. As for language, signs are easy enough to understand, whatever language(s) you speak.

lane

Veteran
The law requires the wearing of face coverings when on public transport. Not masks. The idea is to limit the likelihood of spread in an enclosed space along with social distancing rather than the prevention of spread.

The whole thing is a complete bloody farce. Face coverings not masks, make your own, my daughter's school MUST wear on the bus to school MUST NOT wear in school. I have never heard so much complete bollocks in my life.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The whole thing is a complete bloody farce. Face coverings not masks, make your own, my daughter's school MUST wear on the bus to school MUST NOT wear in school. I have never heard so much complete bollocks in my life.

Time to ditch all this lockdown, face mask, and two metres crap and just get back to going about your routine as normal. A good chunk of the population will have already had the virus by now anyway, so all this bollocks trying to prevent it spreading when it had already spread six months ago, is totally futile.

To answer the original question....no.
Once the stupid 2metre rule goes, once we get into the cooler days of September and October, once it starts getting windy and (more) rainy and once the days start getting shorter then all the newly bought or dragged out of the shed bikes will be forgotten once again. They will come out next year.....for couple of weekends when TdF is on.

Remember in this country the car is king.

Tom B

Guru
Watched 6 people get on the bus near me. No face coverings and no challenge.

I'm of the view that only the most vulnerable should be isolating (with those of the same immediate household) and isolating properly with all the supermarket home delivery slots etc being for them only.

The rest of us should get on.
It should be remembered that this lockdown was only a ever to slow the spread to a level the NHS could manage not stop it. The impact has been much less than feared.

Watched 6 people get on the bus near me. No face coverings and no challenge.

I'm of the view that only the most vulnerable should be isolating (with those of the same immediate household) and isolating properly with all the supermarket home delivery slots etc being for them only.

The rest of us should get on.
It should be remembered that this lockdown was only a ever to slow the spread to a level the NHS could manage not stop it. The impact has been much less than feared.
Spot on old bean.
The original idea was not to swamp NHS. That has been largely forgotten. Now the Panic virus has taken over and all sense or reason has disappeared. The lockdown has become an industry in itself. The only exception to lockdown is my own pet project.
The NHS has had it's first major test since its misguided inception and all the beaurocrats and paper chasers have been found to be way out of their depth.

Time to get some sense back into our daily lives.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Absolutely, the more of the fit and healthy portion of the population that catch the virus, the better it is for those who really don't want to get it because it will make them properly sick. If the rest of us all catch it, and become immune, there wont be many carriers left so little risk of infecting the high risk groups.

Mike_P

Guru
Absolutely, the more of the fit and healthy portion of the population that catch the virus, the better it is for those who really don't want to get it because it will make them properly sick. If the rest of us all catch it, and become immune, there wont be many carriers left so little risk of infecting the high risk groups.
Apart from the fact that a number of people killed by the virus have been people who were fit, healthy and without any medical issues until the virus came along. Also whether immunity has any long term status is unknown so until a vaccine is available everyone is at risk. Wearing a nose/mouth covering of some form, even those cheap Amazon ones, cuts down on you spreading the virus, not from catching it, but if everyone wore a covering its spread would be limited and in hindsight everyone should have been doing that in March. Wearing them on public transport stops hard surfaces becoming contaminated as well as being socially pleasant to fellow passengers and transport staff.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Arguably putting in staking off masks means they will be handled any virus caught in the mask can then be transferred to hands and into the grab rails etc that we all use.

People arnt going to be using fresh masks on every trip and they are going to fiddle with them when on.

Plusses and minuses everywhere.

Have a look at the data here...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...2020#deaths-registered-by-place-of-occurrence

Remember covid deaths are yellow in the graphs. Seems that age is a massive factor in both covid and non covid deaths

Top Bottom